Spearfishing

Joskin

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if spearfishing while scuba diving in the UK is legal?

I have searched every where I can think of on the net but cant find a definate answer?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's certainly frowned on by the BSAC! Scuba spearfishing can ruin a big bay quite quickly, and even snorkellers can do an awful lot of harm, especially as they tend to hit territorial fish like lumpsuckers and wrasse - WHILE THEY ARE GUARDING THEIR YOUNG!!!
Please don't, it's much more fun to watch them, and there's absolutely no credit in harpooning a fish that had no idea it was supposed to be scared of you.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

In SA it certainly was not illegal. You had to have a licence, mainly to use a spear gun which is a frightful weapon if fired into air.

But scuba equipment is not allowed. Snorkels only.

Bag limits are in force but quite honestly I never had anything against bona fide spear gunners. The amount of fish taken by them was tiny compared to anglers.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And no bag limit on spear gunners was ever applied to sharks.......:eek:)

Joskin

Reaction score
If it is legal then yes I would concider doing it. But no fear Alan I wont be wipeing out entire bays. Just a few paletable fish for the table.

J

Jim Hinchley

Coastal waters , yes perfectly legal. ( usually only worth targetting the odd bass or mullet IMHO )

Rivers for salmon and sea-trout decidely not !!!!!!!!!