Algarve fishing

P

Peter Bird

I thought it may be helpfull to your members who fish in the Algarve to advise the following;
Due to the lack of rain in the region this year the baragems(reservoirs) are at an all time low. Over the past two weeks the authorities have been dredging several of them and removing tons of dead fish due to the lack of oxygen in the water. I have been fishing for carp in Ourique in the Rocha baragem for many years but this has now come to an end. They took out 12 tons of dead fish from there alone. I would strongly recommend anyone intending to book fishing holidays check very carefully before hand.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news and only hope that the rains come next winter.
Peter

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
Just come back from the region and would concur. But the mullet fishing in and around Lagos is out of this world....i've never seen so many specimens. Needless to say i had to have a go and yes i did catch with the biggest going around the 3lb mark.
The real biggies kept coming off or coming short; still tremendous fun on light gear. Also loads of school bass around the 2lb mark which give the old fly gear a jolt on the take. I want to go back already!

Robbie H

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this Peter. spent a month and a half fishing round Portugal last year. Even then, the baragems were at dangerously low levels! In fact, it breaks my heart to think of all those impresive barbel and carp having to be removed. Sad times i feel.
Will Spain suffer as well? I think so, as i also fished there for 1 1/2 months and they too were having water problems.

john anthony bate

Reaction score
very sad to see this great dam with lots of small dead fish i was there the day it started with 2 top match anglers do not think all fish dead did not see any over 8lbs dead and there are f ish to over 36lbs in there best fish for us this week from dam near there 19lbs hundreds of small fish on match gear you can see report of this trip on my web site in dec when we can update it
tight lines
john bate
www.tightlines-portugal.com