Hooks in clothing/body parts

flightliner

Reaction score
Over my angling lifetime I have had to remove hooks both large and small from various parts of my body and items of clothing, often and at the very least it's inconvenient and frustrating, and at worst its positively dangerous and very painfull---- whats your worst moments??:rolleyes:

richiekelly

Reaction score
a very sharp barbed size 8 treble through the tip of my finger,the hook was also attached to an angry pike of around 14lbs,im sure the fish knew that we were hooked together and flapped about more than usual.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
Been fishing over 30 years and up until this season i had been pricked a few times, but never past the Barb. This season so far has seen 2 size 8 hooks embeded once in my fore finger and worst of all, down the side of my thumb betwee my nail. luckily i have a good pair of forceps and a rubber bite piece in my bag. I did see some one get a Daiwa big S plug in the face, when some one was casting in, amazing how stretchy and strong the skin is....

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Well being rather a fortunate guy, the last time i got hooked was at 14 years old. I was fishing with a bunch of mates , and my best mate (dead now rest his soul) cast in past me and put a size 16 barbed in my ear with maggot, it went in the grissle part and we coud,nt get it out for love nor money. I went home and my dad said he would cut the barb part off and push it through, but to no avail , so while he was keeping me busy talking , he ripped it out with the pliers.As you can understand i am rather more carefull now ha ha ha.tight lines.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
It was about 12 years ago on Loch Lomond. I was landing a pike for a mate who was a beginner. The pike was lying quietly in shallow water and I could see that it was only very lightly hooked by one treble. I reached forward to release the treble with my forceps and the pike thrashed.

I ended up with one point of the other treble through the index finger of my right hand and one point through the middle finger. Both hooks were in up to the bend! So there I was with a very angry 8lb pike in my left hand and a treble in my right hand and both connected by a short length of 30lb trace wire.

My mate managed to cut the trace and unhook the pike. And then we discovered that he hadn't crushed the barbs on the treble!!!

flightliner

Reaction score
It was about 12 years ago on Loch Lomond. I was landing a pike for a mate who was a beginner. The pike was lying quietly in shallow water and I could see that it was only very lightly hooked by one treble. I reached forward to release the treble with my forceps and the pike thrashed.

I ended up with one point of the other treble through the index finger of my right hand and one point through the middle finger. Both hooks were in up to the bend! So there I was with a very angry 8lb pike in my left hand and a treble in my right hand and both connected by a short length of 30lb trace wire.

My mate managed to cut the trace and unhook the pike. And then we discovered that he hadn't crushed the barbs on the treble!!!
Ouch!!!! that must have been really painful!!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Yup! We managed to extract the hook (OUCH! :eek:) and carried on fishing. We called in at the local hospital on the way home for me to have a tetanus booster.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I personally have only had minor scurmishes with hooks. My brother-in-law got a fly (black & peacock spider) lodge in his eye, I cut the leader leaving 6 inch still attached. Trip to A & E, then on to another hospital to see othalmic surgeon. Drops in his eye and his eye opend and hook with fly just fell out. All he had to do was open his eye lid.
A mate got his boillie baiting needle stuck in his thumb, another trip to A & E. The needle had a hook with metal closer. Small cut to thumb, out came needle.
What waist of good fishing time.

Philip

Reaction score
As a kid if we hooked clothing no matter what it was we used to cut the clothing rather than cut the line and re-tie the hook.....my fishing gear was just a mass of holes.

My dad (non fisher) I managed to hook with a monster treble on a plug in his thumb and he ended up having to go to hospital where they cut his thumb apart to take the hook out leaving a big scar.
It was some time after that, that the skipper of a boat we chartered to take us fishing in the channel told me that the best way to deal with a really bad hook in the finger is to push it right through so the point comes out through the nail, then snip off the eye and push it through. Hurts like hell but no scar after.

Thankfully I have never had to put it to the test.

Yacko

Reaction score
These days people pay a lot of money for this type of body piercing, perhaps we should use non-rusting hooks, then we could just splash on some alcohol and leave in situ. This could give us anglers a lot more street-cred?

bigchub

Reaction score
These days people pay a lot of money for this type of body piercing, perhaps we should use non-rusting hooks, then we could just splash on some alcohol and leave in situ. This could give us anglers a lot more street-cred?

I actually heard or someone (don't whether its true or not) who got a large single through their.........um...............arrrrrrrrrrrr........well.........can I say widger stick on this forum? God knows what they were doing at the time unless they were planning on using maggots or worms!:D:eek:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
" This could give us anglers a lot more street-cred?"
Knowing my luck I'd end up with a pink Baby Doll dangling from my face. I'll stick to barbless.

Once had a barbed #16 Mallard and Claret in my finger, had to do the through-and-break-the-barb-off routine, ow ow ow!
Now the only holes in my nets and clothing are due to mice or brambles. Much betterer.

flightliner

Reaction score
My dad (non fisher) I managed to hook with a monster treble on a plug in his thumb and he ended up having to go to hospital where they cut his thumb apart to take the hook out leaving a big scar.
Phil- that reminds me of the story I was once told by a big pike angler who was out with a friend using lures. A bad/cocked up cast left him with a jointed three hook lure in the top of his head and streaming with blood after failed attempts to take it out. Assuring the pike angler he would be ok on his own he set off to the nearest hospital in his sporty car (they were on the fen drains)to have the hooks taken out and then he would return to carry on fishing. Entering the small market town he felt uncomfortable sitting as he had a back pocket that he should have cleared before driving, so, as you do he "huched up" to find a little more comfort and in doing so his head touched the roof of the car with the lure becoming fastened in it!!
Somehow he managed to drive the last short distance to the hospital but he had no resort other than to park right outside the A&E door with his hooter blaring for attention which he got from a rather irate security man!!!

dezza

Reaction score
If you are unhooking big predatory fish such as pike, NEVER NEVER EVER grab the hook in your fingers.

In my opinion, and I have unhooked many many toothy fish, not only pike, NEVER use forceps! They are just too bloody weak when it comes to gripping a hook. Get yourself a pair of long nosed pliers, or better still a "Hookout" which you can get from the USA. This puts a grip on a hook like a vice so you can easily do the unhooking maneuver.

And if you are unlucky to hook yourself, use the hookout or pliers to remove the hook straight away from your body with an almighty yank! Use all the strength you can muster to get the ******* hook out.

And if you go pike fishing always carry a first aid kit.

Pike slime is a wonder anti-septic by the way. It's also an anti-coagulant. I have many picture of me holding pike with blood running down all over the place - mine!

Yacko

Reaction score
"And if you are unlucky to hook yourself, use the hookout or pliers to remove the hook straight away from your body with an almighty yank! Use all the strength you can muster to get the ******* hook out."

This is why we all wanted you back Ron, for the great advice (I think)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score

Yes Yacko, but in my case it would have made it a bit difficult to use my right hand!;)