Martin Bowlers reply to Bob Roberts Mr Angry Part 4

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
The following has been posted on behalf of Martin Bowler regarding Bob Roberts statement about barbel retention in his article Mr Angry part 4.

Bob Robert wrote:

"When I last spoke with Martin Bowler I commented on how all his barbel pictures were taken in good daylight and asked if they were all caught in daylight. The answer, and I credit him for his honesty here, was no, many are caught in darkness and retained in a barbel tube until the light was right".

Martins reply to this is:

I have only spoken to Bob Roberts once in the past few years or so. This was at the Yorkshire meeting of the Barbel Society in Wetherby last September in which I was giving a talk. Bob and I did not even talk about the subject of barbel retention.

I have never, and never will use a barbel tube or other retention system to wait for better light for a photograph. The only time I would retain a barbel is to get the camera ready to take a shot, this taking around 5 mins then I would ensure the barbel was ready to swim off strongly afterwards.

The only other thing I would like to add is that a barbel caught in the daylight is worth 10 caught at night from a journalist's point of view as the pictures are of a far better quality.

Where Bob got this statement from in his article is beyond me, a total fabrication.

Bob please go and get some fishing done and enjoy yourself. Try to be more constructive rather than destructive. There are enough people sniping outside the sport without people of your standing doing the same. Chill out.

Presently I am out filming trying to make something constructive for angling as a follow up for Passion for Angling, called Catching the Impossible with Hugh Miles so I do not have the time to post personally and thank Paul for posting on my behalf.

Martin Bowler

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I last spoke to Martin Bowler.
So, not an every day/week/month occurance then eh?

Never thought I would say this but good on you M.Bowler.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Bob,
I was a bit hasty with that reply. You could well have been asleep in your bivvy and dreamt about your discussion with M. Bowler.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You say that it looks like Mr Angry part 5 is coming up?
In that case, here is my contribution to it -:

Did somebody once say that the D.V.S.G. would have 'no political agenda'?
It certainly doesn't look that way to me and many others, judging by the founder of this new found groups comments.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Martin

I think your memory must be getting worse than mine is. Cast your mind back to the slide you included in the show of a barbel's nose and the front end of a tube.

Then try and recall our conversation afterwards. I specifically asked you about the slide and your views on keepnets because it was a hot topic on the forums at that time.

I deliberately waited until afterwards because I didn't wish to cause any controversy or embarassment while you were on stage. You rose in my estimation at that time as a result of your honest reply.

If I've misinterpreted what you actually told me I apologise, if you actually meant to say something else but became distracted in the aftermath of a show I understand, but I do recall our conversation clearly because you were far less dismissive about keepnets than many in the room would have been.

You're a busy man and perhaps it's just slipped your mind but I can assure you this is not a fabrication.

Good luck with the filming.

Bob

PS: Nice one Paul ;-)

B

Big Swordsy :O)

The DVSG has no political agenda other than the agendas of the individual. The DVSG is a pooling of minds with the single aim of catching lots of species to specimen sizes and the promotion help and assistance to each other as anglers in any way possible. We keep no secrets from each other regarding rigs, tackle, bait or venues and when one catches as in Matt's big barbel the feeeling of satisfaction is shared although on this occasion Matt can take all the credit for that fish, as it is the result of a lot of hard work.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lee.
You are honour bound to support the D.V.S.G. and quite rightly so. I would do the same myself. In all probability it has nothing whatsoever to do with the comments on the Mr. Angry thread, so in a way I appologise for associating the two.
It has to be faced up to though, People must, and are begining to wonder what Bobs motives are. And he 'is' the founder member.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Baz, stop stirring it mate.I think it is clear to all that Bobs words are his alone and not put forward on behalf of Rons band of brothers.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am not stirring it Nigel.
I am pointing out how this looks to me and others.
Also I never even suggested these remarks were put forward on behalf of anybody else.
Yes, they are Bobs remarks, and it does not look good.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why is it construed as stirring it just because I have a different view than others and voice my opinion?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has it crossed your mind Nigel, that Bob might be stirring it? Oooh, quick let me touch him.

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Bob I was stood right next to Martin when you had a conversation with him. The issue of keepnet/tubes was never even brought up. I have no idea of where you have got this fabrication from. Maybe you have mixed it up with some other show you may have attended.

I remember the conversation well and you were full of praise for Martin and told him what a good slide show and talk he had done but we never talked about barbel retention.

Nice one Bob :)

Paul

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bob's definately stirring it but not pretending otherwise.

Baz, I am not having a dig but you have to admit you can be a mischievous little tinker at times ;-)

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yes Nigel I can, but only on bait box. This is where people get the wrong idea about me.
I must have misread your posting mate.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Baz, apologies if I have offended you.

I dont want to get involved with all this as it looks as if its something Bob & Martin need to resolve themselves.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think what has annoyed me Nigel, is a lot of other things that have been said , and not only on the Mr. Angry thread (concerning bivvying up etc) The good thing is that people like yourself are willing to discuss it peaceeably.
Others get too personal for my liking.

L

Les Clark

I have heard Baz called many things but a "mischievous little tinker " is a new one to me Nigel . LOL