Stiff rod joints

Michael

Reaction score
Can anyone tell what to use to lubricate a stiff rod joint. My feeder rod has two tops both of which are very stiff to put onto the middle section - to the point where they become very hard to undo again. Any ideas?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Make sure the male and female spiggot joints are clean and dry before putting them together. Natural wear and tear will loosen them up.
Sorry mate this is all I can suggest myself.
Othe rthan that, take it back to the shop wher you got it from and compare with another of the same.
One thing I would not do is to sand the joint down.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

If I have this problem I usually find that an application of a good quality pole elastic lubricant works. The Middy brand is the one I use but as Baz says dont try to sand it down and make sure both the male and female ferrules are clean and free from dirt or grit.

W

Wag

Try rubbing soft pencil lead over the male part of the joint, or a thin rubbing of candle wax.
As Baz says the joints will loosen with natural wear.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I agree with Carl, candle wax is the boyo for the job but watch it doesn't pick up bits of grit. I can see the sense of that graphite as well Carl, have you actually tried it? At least it wouldn't have the tendency to pick up grit because its not greasy. I have some artists solid sticks of graphite which would be just the job for that.

W

Wag

Graphite works best I find Graham, it's just a bit messy. I use it on my newer rods as a thin coat is all that's needed.
I use candle wax on my older rods, as I find it takes up a bit of the slack in the joints, making a better fit which is still easy to take apart.
Graphite is easier to clean off the joints as well - wax is sometimes a bit of a bugger to remove.

Michael

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will give the graphite one a go this afternoon.

Michael

Reaction score
Many thanks all, took a pencil to the rod joints and while still being stiff it is a much esier job putting them together. Cheers.

P

Paul Christie 3

One of my Diawa feeder rods has a similar problem and it's a fault with the varnish going too far down the female part.

When it sticks, its really bad to undo. It needs the varnish sanding off.

This could be a possible cause?

W

Wolfman Woody

A bit of wire wool rubbed gently on the male part. That should loosen it up.

Rub the male against the side of your nose too, it picks up the lanolin in your sweat clands and that is a good lubricant.

C

Cakey

One of the boys rods got totally stuck,after freeing it with some help from here we rubbed a candle round the spig and its not been a prob since