If money is a HUGE object .....

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
.....and you had to start from scratch, with the knowledge you have now, what would you buy ? For the purposes of what could be a very short thread, lets say all your tackle has been nicked and the insurance arent paying out, but they did leave your rod licence and a tin of corn. Lets also say you've got £100 less a tenner for hooks, shot, disgorger, what would you buy with the rest ?

Also mention whether you think your suggestions could be used by a beginner and this thread might (and I cant stress that word enough) might be a useful resource for anyone looking to get into the sport without going to either Argos or their "friendly" tackle shop completely blind.

Would you buy anything at all, or use it as an excuse to take up golf, birdwatching, hiking or something else out-doorsy ?

Mine would be : Shimano Forcemaster 11ft float rod £40, Shimano alivio reel £26, Middy supersoft landing & 2.5m handle £18......I've got £6 left and I've nothing to sit on or put my tenners worth of tackle in.....this is harder than I thought !

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd be looking at the 2nd hand market for a cheap Shakespeare seatbox (£10), and a Shimano reel (£10), Drennan series 7 carp float rod (£30)(which will cover most of my float and ledger fishing in summer) and a Shakespeare bomb (£15)wand for winter.

I'd also go 2nd hand for landing net and handle(£10), I'd buy new 6lb main line Senor (cheap as they come) and 4lb hook line, buy a few new floats but get feeders 2nd hand

I be looking round car boots so I think I'd get all that for the most you suggest

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I've had some bargain at car boots before, I think the seatbox would be a dead cert from one. I've gone for new and online but I bet ebay would also have some bargains. Havent tried the Daiwa senor line though, is it a spanish import :):):):):):):)

I'll get me coat...........

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Watch it Crackhead:)

Have you been on the canal section of KJS recently - don't bother with the 2nd section - save yourself the extra walk and just fish the 1st section - I've been the lasr 2 weekends and caught a nice few fish

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sticking with new stuff and looking for a decent medium/big fish set up I'd go for a Shakespeare Mach 2 barbel rod which would give me a twin tip rod that would do for barbel, chub, carp, tench, bream and pike (at a pinch) £43 on 'tinternet, any medium sized reel for around £20 to £25, £25 for a couple of spools of line, some feeders and some leads and a couple of cheap rod rests and I'm sorted.

If I wanted a float rod as well then I'd go down the Used Tackle route and look at one of their float rods and a heavy feeder rod and target around £25 each which would give me a couple of their full carbon rods. I'd need to skimp a bit on the line and feeders then though, but I'd still end up with a decent outfit for not a lot of dosh.

For a bag I'd use one of the many small rucksacks hanging around the house and one of the camping chairs if I was desperate for a seat.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Watch it Crackhead:)

Have you been on the canal section of KJS recently - don't bother with the 2nd section - save yourself the extra walk and just fish the 1st section - I've been the lasr 2 weekends and caught a nice few fish

Havnet been anywhere recently, mores the pity, and only fished the canal on the odd summer evening a year or two back with bread for carp, but I think alot of the big 'uns where moved to carp pond. Supposed to be some very big perch in the second section though, but considering the walk and the amount of gear I take, the first section sounds far more appealing !

Sean, I've heard very mixed review about used tackles stuff - have you tried it and how do you rate it ??? Speaking of cheapy stuff, I've an ultimate latex landing net and though it LOOKS a bit fragile and plasticy its taken a bit of abuse so far, but its early days yet.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Lets also say you've got £100 less a tenner for hooks, shot, disgorger, what would you buy with the rest ?
Have you been reading my mind today?

I was sat there using this £30 CENTREPIN reel (did that just to wind you up again :D) on a Daiwa Proteus 13ft float rod that I got for £34 and thinking how you could easily tackle up for £100.

Seriously, that's taking two examples, but you can always find a decent FS reel fro less than £30. Landing net and handle can be acquired cheaply and you can always use one of the £4 camping collapsible chairs from Asda at £4 or £5 to sit on. Bag, £7 or so from Lidl was it?

Fishing - cheap as chips!

When you think that there'll be many a parent this year spending £140 on Wii or a PS-gord-knows and then adding games to it the equivalent of which you can buy some really decent bits and pieces. Just go fishing!

Last edited:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
I dont doubt that at all Skip, its so often the way spend a bit more money get a lot better kit. However if you're a parent who doesnt fish, spending £100 on a hobby that might not last that long is a far better postition to be in, which is partly why I've said a hundred. And its far harder for experienced anglers (althoug far from impossible obviiusly) to do it - centrepins and all !!:)

Geoff, I looked for those camping chairs on ebay, cheapest I could find was a tenner !

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I would put a call out on FreeCycle. Last year I gave an armful of broken/damaged rods to a kid who was starting out fishing. He was thrilled. So I dug out some old reels and other bits of kit too for him.

And I'd use eBay of course. If I couldn't get it for free, I would plump for a secondhand Avon rod and a matching secondhand shimano baitrunner - which would already have line on it. Then about fifty quid on bits in the tackle shop and a quality carrier bag to double as weigh-sling and seat-cushion.

Then I'd buy lottery tickets with the balance. Win. Then move to the Bahamas. :wh

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I dont doubt that at all Skip, its so often the way spend a bit more money get a lot better kit. However if you're a parent who doesnt fish, spending £100 on a hobby that might not last that long is a far better postition to be in, which is partly why I've said a hundred. And its far harder for experienced anglers (althoug far from impossible obviiusly) to do it - centrepins and all !!:)

Geoff, I looked for those camping chairs on ebay, cheapest I could find was a tenner !

Fair point Jim...I was just trying to say that in pure cost terms there's not much between tackle that's good enough and good tackle. With a bit of thought and time £100 will kit you out but for a bit more {I said double...maybe less] you could have some really good gear. £100 would certainly get you going again perfectly well.

Like I said if I lost all my stuff I'd be perfectly happy starting over with a couple of Shaky rod & reels...in fact I doubt I'd look further.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'm sure I did a piece on this, buying a start-up kit for under £100, for Coarse Angling magazine over 14 years ago now. It was possible then, just, but some of the stuff was pretty borderline.

I think you could easily do it now, there's far more competition in the market, and far greater choice of stuff to buy.

Well, Jimmy, when I looked it was probably in an end of summer sale - they were England chairs, just after we'd been knocked out of the World Cup. :D :D :D :D :D LMYAO!!!

EDIT - Just picked Chapmans, once amongst many I'm sure -
Shaky Mach 1 Float rod - £34.99
OR Ron Thompson Warlord £39.99 (13')
+
Okuma Aquios Reel £21.99
OR Shimano Catana RB 3000£29.99

So at best, your only spending £70 leaving you £30, for a Middy net and handle combo at £12.99. Little bit for postage and Bob's your uncle. A very good uncle too if he'll buy it for you.

Last edited: