Line Clipping

Danny Bouckley

Reaction score
Hi

Most of my previous fishing has been either waggler or margin type stuff. However, I have just started getting into Bream in a big way.

I understand that line clipping is a great way to make sure that you hit the same spot each time with your bait, now heres my question...

The place I am fishing also has a good amount of large carp (up to 30lb) .. am I safe keeping the line clipped after i have cast out and whilst waiting for a bite? or should i be unclipping it after every cast in case i latch onto a carp...if I do this then how do i then make sure I get back to the same spot next time round?

Any advice appreciated

W

William Spencer

righto bod.before you clip up put some pole elastic in the clip,this will absorb the shock on the clip preventing it from snapping.when you cast out tie with either hi vis pole elastic or hi viz braid(fox do two colours)a four turn stop knot onto your line.some anglers prefer near the reel others tie up at the tip ring.this indicates where you need to clip on the next cast.
cast out retrieve the line until the knot lines up and clip up.you'll hit the target every time.
good fishing

Joskin

Reaction score
How likely is it that you would hook a large Carp?

For example I have fished several stillwaters that have several big carp in them. Some of the waters it is only occasionaly that I would hook a Carp (say once in 9 or 10 sessions) so I have no problem in clipping up and loosing the odd carp every so often.
Other waters that I fish I would expect a few Carp to pick up my bait every session so I wont leave the line in the Clip.

Joskin

Reaction score
If you do clip up be sure that you use a lighter hook length than your main line and a barbless hook so that a lost carp wont get tethered and can shed the hook ok.

J

jason fisher

in my case if i'm carping there's not a chance of hooking one, but if i'm after any other species at all it's a dead cert that one will have my bait by the end of the day.

Danny Bouckley

Reaction score
Hi

I think Jasons got it right, if I clip up then Im likely to hook into one, if I dont then I will probably not see one all season!

William, cheers for the advice, Ill give this a bash!

W

William Spencer

danny another small tip.when you cast out with the line in the clip try not to cast too hard ,and when the feeder hits the water follow the feeder with the rod.(instead of the rod pointing upright lower the rod so it is perpendicular to the water)this helps the feeder go into it's intended spot.if you keep the rod upright after a powerful cast as the line tightens it will act as a spring.the line will hit the clip and the feeder will bounce back towards you,gently following it down with the rod prevents this.