One for the Monk

T

tom riordan

Last night whilst fishing, there were a couple of wood pigeons charging up and down the river just like swallows do when chasing insects. I always thought pigeons were grain eaters so I was rather bemused by their antics as this went on for over a hour, is this a courtship ritual or were the pigeons actually feeding on insects?

M

madpiker

cant say that ive veer seen em doing that tom,perhaps they were trying to get a drink.

T

tom riordan

Thats what I thought at first but they werent really getting down as far as the surface, thats why I thought they were either feeding or courting. They played havoc with the lines so they mustnt have as good eyesight as the swallows who never seem to touch the lines.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Tom was having a sly forty winks when he tought he saw these pigeons. You know what these river anglers are like for sleeping on the job.

T

tom riordan

Baz was that a woodpecker calling, or was it the sound of a baitrunner screaming with a snoozing leprachaun on the end of it. I think I will have to get you a bivvy, then I can tuck you up nice and warm so you can truly enjoy the ambience that is river fishing. Hehe ;.) I hope you didnt drive home after fishing all night thats worse than drink driving, driving whilst in charge of a vehicle under the influence of river fishing. Thats five years in some courts.

J

john ledger

Thought you two silly buggers where supposed to be fishing on the Dove.You are a tinker Baz ,Nigel says so

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wev'e been and gone John mate.

Tom says -:
I hope you didnt drive home after fishing all night thats worse than drink driving, driving whilst in charge of a vehicle under the influence of river fishing.

Hmmm? I'm sure I heard that somewhere else, could it have been a passage from the B.R.C. ?

K

Ken Moth

sorry Tom, I dont actually know, yes Wood Pigeons are seed eaters and not insectivores, so I`m not really sure whats going on there?

B

Big Swordsy :O)

pigeons will eat flying insects, they do a rolling tumbling thing, very wierd to look at indeed..pigeon fanciers actually promote this behaviour with selective breeding and they have roling contests.

strange but true!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think they are called Tumblers Lee.
Until a mate pointed them out to me I never knew they existed.
They climb up to the heavens, almost out of eye sight, Then they do their tumbling and rolling tricks, amazing to watch. They will stay up there all day.

T

tom riordan

swordsy I think youve hit the nail on the head, the antics of the pigeons were exactly as you said. The birds were up to their antics for the best part of an hour, which is what prompted me to ask about them, it was just before the weather turned sour on saturday night because I thought it had something to do with the barometric pressure or something, You could feel the wind and pressure changing as the rain was approaching from the west. The fishing went dead as well, just made it back to the car before it started.