Bottled water

D

Deecy

It appears that despite desperate measures being considered by angling clubs here in the South East such as closing waters and the threat of hosepipe bans water companies still sell water to bottlers.These bottled waters appear in shops everywhere as bottled at source.Now the source of many is the very same that breeds life into lakes and gravel pits such as those in the Colne Valley.For example one water company is letting 8 tankers a week in to a source near to me but local waters fed by the very same source have closed or are on the verge.So I am asking that as anglers we boycott these bottles of water.The sort I mean are those sold locally to where the company sources the water.Everywhere seems to have one nowadays.

Joskin

Reaction score
Are you saying that bottled drinking water is less important than angling? I may be missing your point here but I would think that drinking water is pretty important.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Bottled water is the biggest con that has ever been served up to the consumer. Talk to me about it? My business is selling filtration equipment to the water treatment, food service and domestic water industries.

Make no mistake, the water out of the tap in most places in England is not fit to drink. It may be fine from a biological point of view, but it tastes awful, especially around London and the South East.

So people buy lots of bottled water.

And they spend a fortune on the stuff.

Best way to save money is to intall an activated carbon block filter in a simple housing under your sink. This will take out chlorine, taste and odour. We even have filters that will also take out lead and cysts such as Cryptosporidium.

And the fitting of such a device will cost you peanuts compared with the amount you spend in one year on bottled water.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
How much is Peanuts Ron, and thats a serious question by the way. My wife cannot drink tap water because of the taste, probably chlorine, so I am interested in your proposal.

Oh! and when can you fit it?

njb51

Reaction score
What about those Brita Filters? Are they any good ron?

The water here doesn't taste too bad either. :)

W

Wolfman Woody

You know the old saying - "Pay peanuts, you get monkeys." Watch it, Graham!

We only buy French water, so I guess I'm taking it from their rivers, possibly the Rhone, and peeing it into our own rivers. A net import, you might say.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Again Woody a load of bollocks.

Give me some time and I will post where you can buy a decent filter in your area.

Brita supply what we call jug filters. They are one of the best in their field.

But if you want reasonable quantities of good tasting water I would suggest that you insist on the best in the world.

Look at www.kxindustries.com

And the beauty about our cartridges is that they are nowhere near the most expensive.

F

Fred Bonney

I have the Brita filter jug and it takes the chlorine smell and taste out of the stuff in the tap from Anglian Water.
I recommend one for everybody's fridge,I never buy bottled water and never will.
Your tea & coffee will taste better too.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

If you want really good quality water on tap, what you need is what is called an undersink filter. It is plumbed into your cold water supply and includes a faucet which you mount on your sink.

The filter comprises of a pre-filter which gets rid of the bits and pieces in the water, and finally an activated carbon block filter which will remove chlorine taste and odour as well as pesticides, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), THMs (cancer causing chemicals), dissolved lead and other such dross.

Worth every penny you spend on such a system and will probably put 10 years on your life.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Produced by the Boggarts and the Time Bandits re-cycled piss you can bet your life.

:eek:)

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"Peckham Spring water, swear by it!"

lol lol lol

Was that funny or what, Uncle Albert jiggy around like a teenager.....

"been drinking that all me life sir"

Swans------so what ya feed ya anachronism's on then

M

madpiker

i visited loch awe in the west highlands on a few occasions to sample the piking.the water supply to the accomodation came directly from a local spring.what lovely tasting tea and coffee we had!on returning to somerset,it was soon apparent how bad mains water tastes!when out in the boat,if we wanted a cuppa,we`d fill the kettle with loch water.i said to my mates,down south we pay a forune for bottled water,yet up here you can run a bath with it!
yep,it`s a rip off in my opinion

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I have never bought a bottle of water in my life.

I have a nice glass bottle in my fridge, one of those with a porcelain cap and a rubber bit to seal it, and a wire assembly to hold the thing in place.

My guests are always impressed with my water.

You know, some people just have too much money.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"Worth every penny you spend on such a system and will probably put 10 years on your life."

Gotcha Ron, 10 years?

Can you arrange for someone to come round and give me a quote?

Sorry mate, it's crystal clear now!

;-)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Typical salesman.....waffle,waffle,waffle !!

P

Phil Hackett 2

Madpiker
You probably know this but the reason Scottish water and northern water makes a good cup of tea is because the water is acidic with an average Ph of 6-6.5. Where as the water where you live is alkaline average Ph of 7.5 ?8.

Chemical water composition has long been recognised as the key to making a good cup of tea. I understand that tea grower (the real stuff) suggest certain water types for brewing their particular strain of tealeaves.
However, in this homogenised world of blended tea and tea bags, we have lost the art of brewing and using particular teas to suit the water type.

I love my tea, in fact is probably 95% of my liquid intake per day, 12-15 mugfulls p.d. is about average for me.

If like me you like your tea strong, then I recommend the way Russians make their tea.
They use only leaves and brew it very strong (to strong to drink) in a small pot, which they then add hot water to dilute to the strength they want. They also add fruit jam to it, for reasons I?ve not quite worked out yet.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's worth getting a water softener as well as carbon filters. Some water Filter companies supply a complete RO (Reverse Osmosis) system which also includes particulate as well as carbon filters.

My company sell carbon block filter cartridges to the trade, not to end users.

There are plenty of domestic water filter companies in the UK, I would suggest you look at Google. Prices vary but be careful. As in any products you get what you pay for.

Insist on products that are validated to NSF 42 and NSF 53. Also insist on cartridges that have an independent laboratory report on performance. There is lots of rubbish coming in from Russia that don't work at all.

The best type of carbon filter to go for is one that will perform well on chlorine taste and odour, including chloramines as well as cryptosporidium and dissolved lead. Avoid like the plague Granulated Activated Carbon filters (GAC) which are bacteria traps. Extruded Carbon Block technology is far superior and you don't have to contend with carry over of carbon particles from the filter.

Also make sure that any filter housings you buy are "Industry Standard" then you are not tied to one supplier for your filters.