Swollen Rivers

guest61

Reaction score
When the river is up - a lot; how do you approach your fishing? What if you want to fish for species other than Barbel? How would you go about it - if at all?

Normally, you look for slacks or eddies on the main river or look to fish feeder streams or tributaries - any thoughts on this? How would you go about the location of fish?

Its never a science - I have just never had great success and I wondered if anyone else had, and if there were a few consistent tips that could be passed on.

Mark

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A problem

Always difficult MA. One problem I have is loads of rubbish coming down the river; I even hooked a dead sheep once. Laying in close to the bank is really the only way. I look for a swim just coming off a bend so the main flow and rubbish is being swept to the far bank and this also offers a bit of slack. Any small eddy can be fished. I did this a few weeks ago and caught some good roach. It was only a 3ft cut in the bank but, it was enough as the river was flooding quite badly. Laying on with some heavy shot down the line or just plain leger with a arsley bomb is usually the way I fish but; it can still be difficult . Always worth a go though as fish seem to like the extra flow. A good scented bait is always worth condidering although I usually just use bread..

flightliner

Reaction score
A timely question Mark. but the way you ask is measure that you are already half way to solving your problem. Find all such places on the river/s you will be fishing and make a note of them for such occasions as fish will use them for sure. On rivers that I use when after roach and the like it can be fascinating to find some of the places where fish can be found stranded after a big flood-- fields,ditches, even on one occasion in the middle of a road, and back in my river carp fishing days I remember a field that was "hot" for several days before the fish returned to the river.A few years back I was fishing an area with little success and found that the river /floodwater behind me was showing fish rolling so on turning around I was able to go home with a few fish to show for my efforts.
When a river is rising especially at this time of year it is usually the most difficult kind of flood to tackle on account of the rapidly falling temperatures coupled with enormous amounts of debris.At times like these finding one of the aforementioned areas can pay off but generally the rewards may be pretty meagre (allways carry a tin of lobworms). It's the falling levels that usually produce the fish and catches can be the best of the year if it all comes together as we hope.Only last week I was stood by my river looking at a piece of riverbank (not river) that usually grazes cattle that I have fished before on a falling flood and made a mental note to fish it on the next flood as when it's under water it just fills to the brim with roach and on the rain we have just experianced I may be fishing it sometime next week. Keep both float and ledgering methods in mind as options as some flooded areas will respond to one or the other, and, remember, some of these areas are likely to be moving back and forth as well as in a circular motion Do adjust your sights/expectations on what you are likely to catch on a summer flood as oposed to a winter one and enjoy them as they are integral scenarios that as an angler you will experiance. Good luck.

mick_the_fish

Reaction score
intresting topic this was walking the dogs down my local river this week only thinking how i could go about tackling it, always seemed to avoid it when the water is coming up and fish it on its way down dont know why!

Will defo give it a go this winter, im sure we will get a day or two of rain

Mick

Bluenose

Reaction score
Mark, I've done ok recently fishing a float down the edge, very close in, just downstream of a line of trees using lobworm on the hook. I think if you can find an area such as this and feed chopped worm/maggots pinkies or whatever with a baitdropper you will get fish feeding right under your feet.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I was always told to fish the margins on a rising river and the mainstream on a falling one.
In reality I think a lot depends on the depth and the power of the flow. Quite often a raging torrent 12ft deep can have very calm water right on the bottom. Never seems to work in 4 or 5 ft of water though!

I like your PJ O'Rourke quote Mark. My favourite of his concerned democracy in his family of three kids and two dogs. He said something like 'if everyone's vote counted, we'd all eat candy at every meal"

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I must admit that I don't do too much fishing on really flooded rivers. Floods generally result from heavy rain, and heavy rain generally arrives on southerly or westerly depressions, bringing low pressure, wind and warmer air. This is conducive to good stillwater fishing; my preference is to go after big carp, but pike and roach can also feed well on warm, windy days - especially on gravel pits.

However, sometimes the river calls, so what's to be done? Firstly, pick a stretch you're familiar with. Not only is it difficult to assess likely spots when faced with an unfamiliar river in a brown flood, it can also be downright dangerous - especially if the water's over the banks; it's all too easy to put a foot into a ditch you didn't know was there, or go off the bank into a cattle drink. If you've fished the stretch before - or at the very least walked it a few times at low water - you will know the location of fallen trees, submerged bulrush beds, weedbeds and other obstacles, and be able to avoid them.

Fish need two things; safety and food. Under normal conditions, safety is usually provided by cover of some sort; weedbeds, overhanging trees, undercut banks and so on. Food is sometimes available nearby, but often it is not, so they have to go searching for it. A flooded river, especially if it is highly coloured, allows them to move into areas that are normally too shallow or exposed. That shallow run on the inside of the bend where you stood last summer to trot along the far bank treeline might now be five feet deep and holding a huge shoal of roach.

Floodwater also changes the position of things. Obstructions to carefully presented baits that grow up from the bottom, or hang down from above, can be swept horizontal in the increased flow. The tantalising swim by the willow where you found it impossible to roll a legered bait beneath the trailing branches, might now be clear. The extra current will have scoured the river bed and the branches still provide cover for a shoal of chub, even if they are only trailing in the upper layers. For the same reason, when fishing upstream of your position, you must remember to cast slightly further downstream of reedbeds, trailing branches and so on.

Just about the worst places to try are the ones the books show, usually with an illustration of arrows circling around a convenient crescent in an otherwise straight bank. Eddies, backwaters and slacks are the dumping ground for all manner of debris washed into the river. Not only that, but the extra height of water usually corresponds with an increase in width, unless the river is set into a channel with vertical sides. This means the margins at low water are now several feet - maybe even yards - further out. Between them and where you sit will be the sloping bank, which back in the summer was covered in head high nettles, brambles, hogweed and balsam. Do you really want to be dropping a bait into all that? Even if a fish found it, you'd struggle to fetch it out again, and when you reel in at the end of another blank afternoon you'll probably get hung up and lose your hook, lead and everything else.

No, forget the river margins. Forget too the deepest holes where the fish go in summer to escape the heat of the day; these sudden depressions in the river bed also catch rubbish coming down, which drives the fish out in search of more congenial surroundings. Look for somewhere with a steady flow over a clean bottom, and don't worry too much if it's a bit quick, or usually too shallow to hold anything but minnows. Even big fish will lie quite happily in a foot of water if it's coloured enough. Just remember to keep off the skyline; you might not be able to see the bottom through the sediment, but be sure the fish will know you're there. Visibility through a brown flood might only be 50% of what it is in clear water, but you'll still block out the same percentage of whatever light is penetrating if you stand up against the sky.

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Good post Fred.

I guess a lot depends on the venue and the degree of flooding. When I was a kid, there used to be a damp ditch that entered Kings Weir on the Lea. Normally it had just mud in it, or an inch or two of water - but after a flood it could go to about 6ft deep. Just about every fish in the weirpool would go up that ditch and wait till the flood subsided - it was like shooting fish in a bucket, you couldn't fail. Every cast was a fish, every one a different species and of all sizes.

guest61

Reaction score
Yes, Good Post Fred.

That's exactly the sort of 'detail' that I was hoping for. I purposely avoided 'Flooded' Rivers as a post subject due to the potential safety issues. But at this time of year fishing rivers that are 'well up' may be your only opportunity, a few well chosen hours in the right place, may pay dividends.

Mark