Rucksack recomendation?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Last time I bought a Fishrite on recomendation. It's very well designed but just not up to the job. After 2 years the 'expanding' top bit disintegrated. Over the following year 3 different zips have given up the ghost. The reinforced bottom isn't reinforced enough, as there is a hole in it.

80 to 100 litre capacity is what I need. A few nicely designed pockets would be nice as well. The most important thing though, is that it should be up to the job i.e. carrying my heavy gear for a mile or so, once a week.

Surely a rucksack should last closer to 5 years, rather than 3? Or do I expect too much

E

EC

I got a JRC combo type which has a carryall attached also, useful for say a camping stove, spare clothes, stalking gear, food or whatever, I think their is a review on here (not by me yet) for ?50 incl postage I thought mine was a steal.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Eddie that is on my list of possibles, and about what I'm planning to spend. Does it have any straps on top to hold an unhooking mat?

M

madpiker

put transworld surplus in your search engine,they have rucksacks etc.

E

EC

Ric, it has clips at the top of the rucksack which join on to the carryall that can be attached to the top of the rucksack.

So, the answer is no it doesnt have the straps, but you do have clips too which straps (from your old rucksack?) could be attached, if that makes sense!

Reaction score
Try an outdoor shop with a good selection to pick from. You will find that many spend money on how the backpack is seated on you for comfort as a poor design one with a heavy load will bring back problems.
I brought a Nash one and its really not comfortable as a bar built into it runs across the bottom of my spine. I never use it now due to that.
Failing that get a giant dog, buy a cart and watch anglers smile as your loved one runs past them fully loaded and decides to go for a swim :)

R

Robert Woods 1

Ric,
I've got two rucksacs from Transworld. Not as big as you want them to be but ideal for rivers & day carping. I have struggled with "fishing" rucksacs but these are far more confortable especially for me as I'm Hobbit sized.