Virgin Water advise

J

Jon Carrington

I have access to a 15 acre gravel pit that as yet hasn't been seriously fished, it is privately owned and was stocked with a smallish head of carp 10-12 years ago (" 2 dustbin fulls"). I know they are in there as one was caught recently at 25lb. The advise i am after is what would you think would be a good approach on this sort of water as they won't have seen much if any pressure. There isn't much access to the bank either as it is seriously overgrown..

L

Little Stu!

Jon, i'd steer on the cautious side and try to keep your approcah as natural as possible. Perahps start with maggot and caster and fish glugged imitation bloodworm on the hook. If they've seen little pressure then boilies may take a little while to establish (although i'd start a prolonged boilie campaign with freebies etc).

J

Jon Carrington

Thanks for that. I have to say the one that came out at 25lb was caught by somebody who tench fishes on the lake as there is a reasonable head of them in there as well. So I would expect him to be using natrual bait. The water seams very big seeing how little bank side access there is. there are a few rowing boats on there I can use though which will helpa little bit with having a nose about.

L

Les Clark

Must agree with Little Stue ( thats a laugh ) Keep it as natural as possible , maggots ,worm ,slugs ect if there is no pressure on the water your in charge you lucky man.

B

Big Rik

fill it in with maize and pellets

try and find spots visited and bait them as often as possible.
Check to see if the bait is being eaten and continue to bait them.
Try and only do 3 or 4 spots max, and fish them dependant on the weather and wind direction.

you lucky, lucky git.

J

jason fisher

worms worms worms worms,
worms worms worms worms,
wooorms wooorrms wonderfull worms.

an a stealthy aproach.

G

Glen Howell

I agree with Rik, get the paricles going in there!
Maize, Maples and hemp will soon get them feeding.

J

Jon Carrington

Thanks for the advise. I did think somebody was looking down on me when the chance came up the best bit though is it isn't costing a penny to fish it... Sorry didn't mean to rub it in..
Cheers Jon

J

Jon Carrington

First attempt last night. I could only manage about 3 hrs due to work. I fished 3 rod's one with lob worm over a pva bag of Maggots, nothing on this rod, a second rod I had fishing with a single Hinders Bloodworm bollie just to get a few baits going in to see if the fish turn onto them, no action on this rod either. The third rod was fished with 2 grains of sweetcorn, 4 tench to this rod up to 4lb 3oz's. Not a blank but none of the intended quarry. Going tonight again to put some bait in and then fishing it for the day tomorrow, Have to say I didn't see any of the carp while I was there but know from others experience they frequent the area. Lake is very weedy but in front of the area I was fishing are 3 seperate clear gravel area's.
Cheers Jon

F

Frothey

put a load of hemp, corn and pellet into a weedy area and see if it turns into a clear area......

C

Cliff Hatton

Little Stu! What's 'natural' about an imitation bloodworm?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have fished many "virgin" carp waters in my life.

One of the most instant baits I can think of for the carp is sweetcorn. A few handfuls of this stuff and the carp soon start eating it. But perhaps it was because many of these virgin waters were in South Africa and lots of maize is grown there.

Worms are good too, but you are likely to be troubled with perch or even eels if you use worms.

Another almost instant bait is bread, especially brown bread. I am surprised that many people do not use brown bread more often. It contains far more nutrients than white bread.

Try chucking out a few crusts of the stuff and see if they won't take it on the top.

If it's a true virgin water and you can get on there by yourself, you will often find that fishing in the margins right at you feet at the downwind shore of the lake, will prove very fruitful.

I don't have to tell you that stealth and keeping out of sight is imperitive here.

Wish I could join you. This sort of carp fishing can be very exciting.

L

Little Stu!

Whats natural about an imitation? mmmmmm I think the answer is in the question don't you?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Nothing wrong with using imitations Stu. We fly fishers have been doing it for thousands of years.

L

Little Stu!

totally agree Ron, I use them all the time hence the advice I gave. I am just amused that someone is challenging the little point about whats natural about an imitation. I can't see the point of the question!

Amazes me, surely its just that its a copy of the real thing which is what I said!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And do you know Stu that in fly fishing it's possible to create an imitation or suggestion of the real thing that is even more attractice to the trout than the natural.

It's done by exaggerating points of recognition.