Sticky Joints

Paul Brown 6

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on freeing a stuck joint on a rod? I've tried twisting and pulling, even spraying with WD40 but to no avail.

M

madpiker

pour hot water on it,it`ll make the female joint expand and you should be able to free it.
one cold day a couple of seasons ago,my mates rod would not come apart,due to it shrinking in the cold,i poured the remains of my flask on it and hey presto,apart it came!
if that doesn`t work then i dunno mate!

S

Shrek

Woody (aka Jeff Woodhouse) wrote an excellent piece on this ages ago. Think it was more to do with pole sections but I could be mistaken, but the principles involved would be the same.

If you drop him an email, I'm sure he'd send the article back.

Paul Brown 6

Reaction score
Well hot water hasn't worked, neither has the hair dryer even though it was very effective at warming the joint up. It looks like its the two bits of wood and the sticky tape next.

Adrian Chubb

Reaction score
Try this - in a standing position, put the stuck joint behind your knees in a horizontal position, then with your hands outside of your legs, grip the two sections a few inches from the joint, pull apart using your legs as levers against your arms.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I had a jammed rod section and the increased grip I obtained by rubbing my hands with fine, dry mud (like a weightlifter with chalk) allowed me luckily to twist the two sections apart.
I used mud because I was on the river bank, at home talc would probably be better.

Paul Brown 6

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Left the rod in garage to dry out for a week and then just gave it a gentle twist and it came apart easily. Sometimes the waiting game is the best course of action.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Paul, that suggests to me that the joint was wet when you put the rod together, this causes suction when they're pushed together, it happens often when pole fishing but less often with a rod. Once the joint dried out it released its hold which is why it came apart so easily.

J

jason fisher

emu oil graham swears by it when he's got stiff joints.

Reaction score
When I brought a Bruce and Walker rod a few years back the little label recommended a small amount of bees wax put onto the section which helps to avoid sticky joints. I now give all my joints a little rub of wax.