Barbel or Carp (weight for weight)

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm undecided on this one. I've only caught one Carp from a river, a little 7lb Common from the Dane. It went ballistic!

In my experience, I'd say Carp go on longer runs but those of Barbel are slightly more dogged and determined.

Can't choose a winner though!

What do you think?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I find Barbel more exciting in that go on longer and faster runs but Carp can take ages to get their head up once under the rod top.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

River Common Carp can fight just as hard as barbel size for size. The mirrors not quite as hard.

Strangly enough it's the smaller barbel that often put up the best fight - fish in the 6 to 8 lbs bracket.

The hardest fighting carp I have ever caught were in the lower Vaal River near Kimberley. They were all commons - long and lean and went like tigers. Average size of these fish was about 10 lbs.

Much bigger carp taken in large reservoirs most of them mirrors, came in like a sack of spuds.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Caught an 8lb Barbel off the Trent in Derby last night (WOOHOO!) and it fought like nothing I've ever hooked before. The river was up and the flow very fast, he shot off like a rocket down stream.

Never caught a river carp yet but have witnessed a large common landed from the severn and I can assure you that it also fought long and hard for a good 15 to 20 minutes. ****ies jelly arms and lack of breath confirmed the power these specimens have from living in fast flowing waters.

I love rivers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I have never caught, or at least landed, a river carp though I suspect I've hooked a few in the past but I reckon pound for pound they might just have the edge over barbel. They are powerful fish in a lake but with the aid of a rivers flow I reckon they are certainly faster through the water and equally as dogged a fighter as the barbel so probably a better fighter.

Reaction score
Paul's right, i was a quivering mess after my big common from the Lower Severn.

The look in the eyes says it all! http://www.fishingmagic.com/gallery/image.asp?sp=&v=1&uabn=258&Position==8&uin==887

It took a lifetime (it felt)to land and surged down the river for numerous thirty/ forty yard runs that were unstoppable. The equivalent size carp in a lake has nothing on this. I hooked into another within minutes of casting out again and forgot the baitrunner was engaged, too much adrenalin, the resulting birdsnest gave the fish enough time to slip the barbless hook.

However, i still believe that a barbel of equivalent size would beat the pants of that! Fortunately for me the Severn has such fish and one day we'll meet...i'll let you know!

J

Jim Smith 2

I had a common, about 500 yards from where ****ie caught his carp on the seven. Floating dog biscuits and 19 and a half pounds. And yes ****ie, I now have the photos to prove it!!!

Hurrah!!! I love Rivers to - but the Seven is King.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
I've caught river carp and barbel in Italy on the Tiber and the carp,pound for pound, were always the harder to land.

Reaction score
Are they mostly commons in the Tiber?

I've always found they have special turbo charged tails compared to their mirror mates?

What barbel do you find there?

Smokedodger

Reaction score
****y,about 90% Commons but even the odd Mirror fought just as hard as the Commons and the Barbel were European type and a local species which don't get as big as the European.

J

John McLaren

I love Barbel but I am quite happy to say that carp generally fighter harder. It's a different sort of fight of course. One interesting thing is that smaller barbel seem to zoom about much more than their bigger cousins - catching a bag of 2 to 3lb barbel on float tackle is probably my absolute favourite fishing experience - great fun!

Blunderer

Reaction score
I add my vote to the carp camp, definitely. In fact, here's my "pound for pound" league table - anyone adree/disagree?

1) Carp
2) Barbel
3) Tench
4) Chub
5) Perch
6) Eels
7) Crucians
8) Pike
9) Roach
10) Bream
10)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Blunderer you have forgotten one species that will knock the whole of that lot into a cocked hat.

And I know there are people who will disagree with me here.

A grown-on over wintered reservoir rainbow trout in prime condition - not a pellet fed small water fish - will outfight anything that swims in British waters, size for size.

Second I would put a fresh run sea trout.

And I have caught the lot.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Blunderer,

Do me a favour and re-visit your list. Imagine you only have one rod to tackle these species with, say, a 1.25 test Avon matched with 5lb line.

Would you change any rankings?

I think you've seriously underestimated the fights you get from big perch and big eels.

How do we define 'fights hardest'? Longest runs, fastest, stamina?

After next week Ric you'll probably not worry as they're all pussy cats compared to what you're going to hook into!

(Hope it's not a hot chick!!! - sorry guys, in-joke)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The fighting power of the various species of freswater fish can be defined in many ways.

A few words are: "dogged" "explosive" "fast", "Having the most stamina", "The longest runs"

Etc Etc

The overwintered grown on rainbow trout has all these and more.

I caught a 2 1/2 lbs trout the other day that took me a full 6 minutes to land on 6lbs lines. At one stage it had out at least 60 yards of backing, and it leapt 10 feet or so in the air!!

You name any other freshwater fish that can do that in British water?

Jason Speck 2

Reaction score
I had a 13.2 Linear from the Mole last weekend.It did go well.

But I've had Barbel smaller that went better.I've had Carp to 16lb off rivers,but the Barbel I've had have gone better.

All caught on the same rod/line strength ect.

Regards Jason

Ps My fish have come from smaller rivers and not the bigger of this Isle