Morning, noon or night?

A

Andy Doughty

What are the members thoughts on the best time to be fishing for pike?
I am really into the early morning sessions at the moment, and seem to be picking up more and also better fish early on rather than on my dusk outings.
Early mornings also seem to be better on the boat mad sections of the Gt Ouse. Maybe the fish feed early on before the boats are chugging about?
But most of my bigger pike have come early morning regardless of the water. Does anybody still recomend the dusk period for pike, or is that a zander time now?

D

David Will

I have always preferred mornings but in recent years I have tended to move swims on a regular basis.This is giving me the impression that I can catch a lot more Pike at any time of the day.
My theory is that by moving I am catching resident Pike in the swim.If I fish ten swims I am putting myself in with ten chances of Pike.It doesn't always work out like that but I am certainly putting more Pike on the bank now than in the past.I mainly fish stillwaters for PiKe but the same applies on the fens.In the past by sticking to one swim I will have caught the resident Pike and then if I was lucky picked up hunting mobile Pike during the day.This was limited though to mornigs as this is when I found Pike to be most active.
As for the best times I rate mornings as best especially if it coincides with moon rise evenings as second best with afternoons third.Nights have been inconsistent.
You may want to have a look at the theory of moon phases and Pike response.Try www.moonstrike.co.uk
It is a fascinating subject.To assist you understand I use a Old Moores Almanac ?2.50 sweet shops.Good luck.

R

Rob Brownfield

A lot will depend on the waters fished. Mornings should be best, the theory being the pike have not fed all night, so must be hungry. However, several waters I fish, fish best into darkness. Another two fish best at first light and again at 3pm...no matter what time of year!. Another fishes best one hour after dark.

Its a facinating subject with many different ideas on the subject. The good thing is, you can fish several waters in a day, and still be there at the best time for that water....great!

C

Chris Bishop

Most of my better fish - ie 20-plus - have either come in the afternoon/early evenings, or immediately after moving swim when I've plopped a crafty one down the margins, or landed a bait on one's nose.

I'm getting more and more convinced that mobility is the key, coupled with covering the water in front of you as thoroughly as you can without scaring 'em off.

I know the bits of river Andy means - very frustrating this time of year because you know there are some real lumps there but you can't get at 'em half the time.

R

Ron Clay

The vast majority of my 20lb and high double pike have come between 10am and 12 noon. I have a habit of looking at my watch whenever I get a run or a bite.

In fenland I tend to fish near to where I have caught lots of other species in summer. Also look out for features such as deeper water or where a smaller drain or ditch enters.

I shall be fishing the fens for pike quite a lot from October. Mainly around Ramsey 40ft or the 16ft.

I drive a small dark red Citroen Diesel with a ACA sticker on the side. Anyone around at that time are quite welcome to stop for a chat and a cup of tea

C

Chris Bishop

Sounds like something out of a Le Carre novel.

Follow the long straight road along the dyke. By the third bivvy, at midnight, there will be a tall, thin man with a copy of the Angling Times under his arm and a red carnation in his chest waders.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, u had better check under your van now that u have identified it to the public. PETA mat target u!!...