help for a beginner

T

The Cod Father

I am hoping to start fishing again after a break of some 16 years and I need some advice.The lake i intend fishing contains carp to 30 pounds as well as tench roach perch etc and i would like to fish for both carp and the smaller fish using floats.Is it possible to get a rod that would be suitable for both types of fishing or do i need to buy rods for carp and match fish?
How do i know what a good rod (and reel)is?? Is it a case of spending lots of money on expensive rods daiwa browning etc or will cheaper ones ive seen in the angling times be just as good?
Also at the risk of sounding a complete plank..........if im going to use a lighter line for the hook, how do i attach it to the main line? Do i use a swivel or tie the line together using a knot?
Im sorry if the questions seem stupid but i dont know anyone to ask except the anglers at the lake and im worried ill sound a complete twat!!
Cheers for any help.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
You will need diferent float rods for Silver fish and Carp. My advice would be to go to your local tackle stores and get some advice. With regards to the cost as with most things you tend to get what you pay for. Saying that though if your not sure which area you wish to concentrate on you can get the cheaper tackle first then upgrade when you find a style you like.

Sorry i can't be more helpfull. Don't forget to check out the reviews on tackle here on the left.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
A swivel would help stop line spin if your fishing baits like double maggot, or to link main lines to hooklengths try the loop to loop method if you look on this sight there will be a diagram I'm sure if not familair with this method

Clive Kershaw

Reaction score
PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME WHATS THE BEST WAY TO GET EELLS OFF THE HOOK AS I FINE IT A BIT HARD PLUSS I DONT REALLY LIKE THEM AND MY LOCAL POND WEAR I FISH SEEMS TO HAVE A FEW IN THANKS

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Use a bait towel on the smaller ones to hold them. The larger ones you should be able to hold about a third down there length.

Corky

Reaction score
I have never heard of a freshwater eel biting an angler. I could be wrong!

C

Chris Bishop

Don't stick it in a towel as you'll take stacks of its protective slime off. Stick it on an unhooking mat and roll it on its back - this usually quietens them down to get the hook out and the eel back in the water without harming it.

Towels are a total no-no as far as handling fish is concerned.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Chris, I've heard about turning them on their backs and stroking their bellies! Is it true? It would be hard to do this with a bootlace though!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cod Father, you will need two rods/set ups I reckon.
If I was you I would visit the lake you intend fishing and just watch what the regulars are doing. If you explain your situation, I am sure they will offer you some sound advise. The same goes on here!
Nobody will think you are stupid or a twat.
We all need advise sometimes, if we thought we new it all, we would be twats!

Good luck mate, report back and welcome back to fishing again!

Steve.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Chris. Not usually a problem with bootlaces as they leave all there slime on my line ;-). I find it very hard to roll the bootlaces on there back. Any advice on this would be welcome. I always unhook the larger eels buy holding them if only lip hooked just above the water or as you say on the unhooking mat if forceps etc are needed.

Corky

Reaction score
I turn my wife on her back and rub her belly. She slaps me!