Fishing in france!

bill2

Reaction score
Hi all! I've somehow agreed to join a group of undoubtedly sound fellas on a week long fishing trip to france next march. Lac Desire is the venue i believe. Could anyone who has fished in france before let me know if i need any particular tackle / line/ baits etc. But also, do i need any special licences / permits etc..? I'm already sitting on my hands, I don't want ANYTHING going pearshaped! ;p

richiekelly

Reaction score
if your trip has been organized by a holiday company or the owners of the lake all permits if needed should have been sorted out by them,as far as tackle goes if you carp fish here the tackle that you use here should be fine,as for bait if you are going in the warmer months take shelf life or air dried (i prefer air dried ) find out if there are crays in the water if there are take some armomesh for your hookbaits,tigers can be a very good bait in france still i would take some of those,most of all treat it as a holiday and enjoy it .

just looked at their website shouldnt have to bother about permits i suggest you look at the rules section of the site.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You will need a "carte de vacance" .which is a licence for 16 days...as Fred says it costs about £30...but in enables you to fish almost anywhere where there is public access iin France!!

mol

Reaction score
You will need a "carte de vacance" .which is a licence for 16 days...as Fred says it costs about £30...but in enables you to fish almost anywhere where there is public access iin France!!

You need to be a hint more careful than that! In the UK the public have access almost everywhere, particular with the right to roam, it's very very different in France. You have no right to roam in France and almost all the land is owned, what would be public access in the UK is almost certainly not public access in France.

The waters in france are divided into two categories. 1st category water are those that have a nautral trout population, 2nd category are all those that don't have a natural trout population. There are different rules for 1st and 2nd category, you'll need to be aware of these.

Fdration Nationale pour la Pche en France
This website has all the AAPPMA's on it in france. The web-site is in french but with a bit of effort you can follow it or you can use google to translate it. It'll be worth looking at if you want to fish public waters in France

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes I was a bit simplistic there moi. I am under the impression that most of the AAPPMA have reciprocal agreements...and is it still the case that there are a few departments -mainly in the North of France and bits of Brittany where a carte is not required?

mol

Reaction score
Yes I was a bit simplistic there moi. I am under the impression that most of the AAPPMA have reciprocal agreements...and is it still the case that there are a few departments -mainly in the North of France and bits of Brittany where a carte is not required?

I live in NW France, on the edge of three regions and in all these regions you need a carte. I don't however fish in Brittany so maybe you don't need a carte.

I've just double checked, me bad. Most of the AAPPMA do have a reciprocal agreement.:wh

mol

Reaction score
Its easy to get caught out if you're not careful, there are lots of strange rules. Like I said on one of the rivers you can night fish one strech 100m further down the river you can't but yet 500m further down you can night fish again. If you can night fish you can't use any animal thats alive or has been alive so a dead roach or maggots at night is forbidden but then a fishmeal boilie or maize is fine.

Not that I'm trying to put people off fishing in France

Reaction score
The quirks are part of the joy of fishing in France. The local department all produce little guides with maps..which indicate where you can night fish.

If you are going to France to fish..take the trouble to learn the French for the species....and some other basic fishing essentials......I have had nothing but kindness and interest and support from French anglers and they are absolutely made up if you strike up a conversation with them in French....and..you'll get to find out the better spots that way!

Oh...and if you ever go fishing in Bulgaria and a bloke in a uniform comes up and says something like "pasta" to you. He is asking for your fishing permit....don't shake your head a point at a tin saying "no mate, I'm using sweet corn!!" like somebody I could mention:wh:wh

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
If you are going to France to fish..take the trouble to learn the French for the species....and some other basic fishing essentials......I have had nothing but kindness and interest and support from French anglers and they are absolutely made up if you strike up a conversation with them in French....and..you'll get to find out the better spots that way!

I'd agree with that. It's not hard to pick up a little bit of french, a few hours spent listening to those french CD's and you can have a basic conversation. When I first moved over to France somebody told me the average copy of the Sun newspaper, once all names where removed, only had 700 different words in so you don't need to learn lots to have a basic conversation. You don't need to be embarrassed if you get it wrong, they'll make the effort to understand you if you make the effort to try.

Take it you have fished a fair bit in France poshpaul??

Reaction score
Not for a couple of years now...Central and Eastern Europe offering opportunities at less cost.

However I love France...and have fished lakes and rivers in Britanny and the Mayenne plus - on the Indre, Creuse, Cher, Lot and Adour...absolutely adore the Lot. And a visit to Albi Cathedral also enabled me to identify a really lovely sand bar on the Tarn where some sizeable barbel hang out.....for the next visit down there!!