Chopped worm

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
I've just joined Littlemore Angling Association who have a stretch of the Thames at Sandford on Thames. The majority of matches there are won on chopped worm. Any tips on how best to fish with this bait and which worms are best would be great. Cheers

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
For chopped worm I'd use the dendroneba variety as they're cheaper than lobs (assuming you don't have your own worm farm).

Use longer sections as hook bait (or lob sections) pushing the point of the hook down into the cut end then out through the skin. This helps hide the hook shank inside the worm and ensures the point isn't masked.

You can bulk out the chopped worm groundbait with brown crumb or similar, even add some Van der Eynde liquid worm to juice it up a bit. Tasty!

Personally I'm just learning about float fishing so can't advise any float set ups but I've caught plenty of Perch, Roach Bream etc... on simple running ledger rigs with worm bait. Oh and of coarse eels.

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Cheers Paul, thats brilliant. I'll give it a go this weekend, weather permitting.