Rejuvenating rods

mol

Reaction score
I've dug out a couple of old rods to use but the cork handles and blanks look a hint tatty although the rods are sound. Is there anything I can do to rejuvenate the appearance of the rods?

mol

Reaction score
Oh, DIY for sure.

The cork on the handles is just a bit dry looking and a hinted almosted faded looking. The rod blanks just need a good clean and something to make them look a little less tatty, a bit like a polish really. They're old rods that I've had stored for years the whippings and rod rings are sound as are the blanks from a casting and playing point of view.

One is a Berkley 6 foot baitcasting rod and the other is an old Dawia Jaguar winkle picker that I used to use for snatching live-baits.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Cork Handles - give them a light scrub with a nail brush and plain soap to get any clag off. If you want them to look a bit shinier, wipe over them with either A) linseed oil weakened with a 50% white spirit or B) a bit of sunflower oil. Leave to dry and keep wiping with a clean cloth.

Rod Blank - simple, ArmourAll (or Son of a Gun if you can get it) for cleaning car cockpits. Do it a few times and the gleam should build up.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Jeff has it about right, but once you have cleaned the cork, I would get some grade 400 sandpaper and give the cork a light rub over, this will open the pore'e in the cork, so when you add the oil it will get into the cork, thus giving it a nice look and giving a longer life.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I had a couple of very well used Rodcraft NW quiver tip rods from the early 80's. I sent them to a bloke in North Yorkshire - they were returned in mint condition - re-ringed; re-varnished and cleaned up cork handles.

Good for another 25 years!!

mol

Reaction score
Rod Blank - simple, ArmourAll (or Son of a Gun if you can get it) for cleaning car cockpits. Do it a few times and the gleam should build up.

Damn, that Armour all is good stuff.

Cheers for that Jeff

michaels

Reaction score
I have to second or third what has been said by all regarding ArmorAll protectant, its bloody marvellous. I`ve just used it on an old Avon/Quiver and its come up like new, the cork was perfect, but the rod let it down.
The funny thing was when I asked for it in the car spares shop, they asked me what I wanted it for, to which I replied, my fishing rods, this caused a few eyebrows to be raised!