Your very first...

E

EC

Mine was a Daiwa Tornado 13ft Match Rod costing ?29.99 in 1984!

Stitch that fibreglass lovers!

S

Steve King

Mine was a 9?ft Abu light feeder rod. I think I got it in 1986, but I haven't a clue as to what it cost!

T

The Monk

I can remember the first carbon rods hitting the market back in the 70s, they wre fly rods and very expensive, we always though they would never produce carp rods in carbon because of the price and the fact that our rods were static and now hand held most of the time, I stuck it out with my Jim Gibbinson Cloopers and (Red) Gerry Savage rods for a while longer, until Terry Eustace brought out his T24s, we also had Northwest SS4s, Carbon carp rods came out just after that, must have been the late 70s, cant remember my first though although I think it may have been Bouron?

T

The Monk

I can remember other materials though, like my Sealey Blue Match, Greenheart with a fibre glass top which flew across the lake on every cast (either that or your could break it down at the end of the session) and built cane, tank ariels for spinning and Spanish reed, the bloody thing snapped on me casting

T

The Monk

Also had a bamboo roach pole, you have to straighten it out over a kettle every time you`d caught a fish, no elastics in those days, you tied catgut directly to an eye on the rod tip.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

My first carbon rod was a fly rod I made for myself in 1980 from Fenwick American Blanks.

9 foot long with a line weight of 8.

It was truly a revelation. The blanks cost me the equivalent of ?25.00 at the time.

So Monk , must be about 200 years old.

I once spent a few hours fishing with **** Walker's roach pole on the Upper Ouse. It nearly broke me blinking arm.

R

Robert Woods 1

Mine was a 13ft Normark "Dimaru" float rod with stailless steel rings round joints. Cost me ?90 in late 70's.

L

Les Clark

Mine was a float rod that i brought from a bloke in the pub i was working in ,along with a centerpin and a one peice suit (fishing ), the suit was crap ,the rod and reel was the d.b. ,lots of fun fishing for roach on the river Stour ,sadly i had to sell it and other gear when i was skint ,something i would never do again.

G

Geoff Cowen

Mine was the 13' Shakespeare President Match rod; it's still one of the best rods I have ever owned. If I hadn't broken it twice I would still be using it.

E

EC

An original President Geoff, must have been gutting when you broke it, costing probably ?100+ in those days?

R

Rodney Wrestt

First carbon rod, hmmmmm I think the first I bought was a 13' Shakespeare Aristo Match, beautifull rod and still my first choice when after roach on the waggler. Or was it the President quiver rod, not really sure now.

Clikfire

Reaction score
Mine was a Shakespeare 13' Omni Match (I think thats what its called) and it would have been about 1982/3 when I was Fifteen. Had to save my paper round money for weeks to get the money together think it was ?29.99. I still have it and my daughter was using it about 4 weeks ago.
Its a nice gentle actioned float rod but the rings except the butt and tip are not lined.

L

Laurie Harper

Robert - I also got a Normark Daimaru 13 ft. in the late 70s. I bought itas a blank and put a cork handle and a set of Seymos on it. Still have it and it still does the job.

J

Jack Pike

A ABU 13ft Match which I am still using to date as I am too lazy to buy another.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Mine was a Daiwa Vulcan 13 foot match.
1984/5 it cost around ?80 if I remember correctly!
Still using it now, absolute quality! combined with my ABU 501 closed face to give it perfect balance.

P

Paul Christie 3

Some of these names bring back memories. In those early carbon days I probably new every float and feeder rod on the market as a teenager. What's the chance of that these days?
I remember the Omni well, my mate had one.
Still got my first rod in the loft, a diawa 9 1/2ft feeder rod and I can't remember the name without digging it out.

E

EC

Jack my mate bought 1 of those ..?39.99 it cost, gunmetal grey ali with oxide rings!

B

Big Steve

Mine was a Dam Quickstick. Seem to remember it cost about ?60-?70. I must have baought it around 1980-81. Still use it today, when I'm not pole fishing.