Flavouring meat

Beaker

Reaction score
What is the best way to flavour luncheon meat, and what flavours would you recomend.

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have used it fried in the dregs of my frying pan after cooking bacon but i dont know if it made any difference,i have also done the same thing but have added curry powder.

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Cut it into the pieces you intend to use and place in a plastic bag , then add whatever flavour you want , tumeric is a good one or any spices realy just add your spice or flavour give it a good shake and leave over night to absorb the flavour. liquid flavours are normaly strong so dont add too much just a few drops will normaly suffice.

bigchub

Reaction score
I usually cut mine into 1/2 inch strips or depending on the species I'm targeting smaller or larger strips. This way I can break of suitable size chunks to suit my needs.

You don't actually say which species your after but -

1. For chub my number one is garlic in either liquid or powedered form. They seem to love it. You can either buy ready flavored garlic meat (such as garlic flavored spam which is increasingly hard to get hold of) or flavor it yourself with any of the liquid carp flavors which are readily available these days or any supermarket products.

2. For barbel I like to use madras curry paste or my secret weapon - Reggae Reggae Sauce. Not only do these change the flavor but also the color at the same time. These two are great especially in colored water. Its also worth adding a little powder such as cayenne or chilli to the outside as well to give it a further coating and extra boost.

As the blanker says you can also gently fry the meat in a frying pan to form a tougher outer skin.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited:

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
I've 'discovered' a fantastic additive. Not saying what it is until it really proves its worth but suffice to say you can buy it in the shops and it's made with beans....

guest61

Reaction score
I've caught a lot of carp on coffee flavoured luncheon meat.

Mark

Reaction score
I have an ancient bottle of SBS Frankfurter flavouring ...its extremely powerful only a few drops using the plastic bag method above. Good for barbel. (Although if you're not careful drunken young men approach you asking for extra onions and mustard)

Have found smaller bits of luncheon meat flavoured with strawberry v, effective for tench on couple of venues I've fished (especially Monk Hall Farm -in Shropshire)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've tried garlic-if I'm honest probably not for long enough to test its effectiveness-and I cannot do anything with it...

For those who use flavours,particularly this one,can you indicate over what period of time you used it before taking fish....

perhaps its a warm weather bait??

Steve King

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I had great success with barbel on the Teme during the summer with strawberry flavoured luncheon meat, but alas it seems to have been "blown" now.

I used to buy the spray-on flavour.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've 'discovered' a fantastic additive. Not saying what it is until it really proves its worth but suffice to say you can buy it in the shops and it's made with beans....
Oh not Soy? :D :D

Is it?

I reckon they've all bean tried. ;) :)

1. For chub my number one is garlic in either liquid or powedered form.
You can get a jar of crushed garlic or a bag of garlic powder both made by Rajah and available from Asda. Both are superb. Try soaking boilies in the crushed garlic as well.

Mimics a product that Action Baits used to produce, Optispice, very nicely.

You might also like to add finely chopped anchovies. Put them in the bag with the cubes, shake them and leave them to soak for a few hours. Salty as hell but the fish do love it.

There's also Graham Marsden's highly recommended additive -

jwsauce7.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've still got some Optispice left in the garage.
I have half a bottle left and a near full bottle of the Sausage Sizzle (was it called?)

I got the last few from the guy that mixed them. He said he wasn't bothering any longer because the raw materials were costing too much. It was all the food companies flavouring our snacks and so forth that was pushing the price up. So all Actionbaits stuff was edible by humans!

Says something I guess.