Fishers Pond Strain Carp

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
I'm getting involved with managing a local fishery, and we have been looking at Simmo Carp to restock an empty lake. The thing is, I've had some negative responses from anglers about the idea.

On the plus side these fish are fast growing (some of the Uk's biggest), healthy and from a reputable source.

On the downside they are perhaps not the prettyest carp in the world.

Am I being paranoid, or are there any carp anglers out there who have strong feelings one way or the other?

F

Frothey

theres some ugly leneys/dinks/italians/etc/etc/as well rob. there are some cracking looking simmo's out there, they look better when caught from clear water lakes (they are normally darker)

a few simmo's to get things going, and some leneys to grow through.....

there's a breeder of leneys in devon if i remember right...i'll see if i can dig the link out.

B

Big Rik

On the plus side these fish are fast growing (some of the Uk's biggest), healthy and from a reputable source.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

my comments are not suitable for a public forum.

F

Frothey

Priory Fisheries

Steve & Ben Gratwick
Kerswell, Collumpton
Devon
EX15 2EA

01884266512 Fax:715826

cant you "harvest" some of the better fish from the other lakes? (remember you need ea permission)

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Thanks Frothey, will have a look at priory. Moving some of our existing fish is also an option.

I was really trying to see if the response I got from a few anglers was typical. One person actually threatened to boycott the venue if it had simmo's in it.

My experience is that most anglers ask 'where are the biggest carp' and dont worry about what the lake is like, what sort of carp they are or anything else. Weight is often the be all and end all.

Ghost carp are another good example. Most anglers are happy to catch them, even seeing them as a bit unusual. But one or two dismiss them as overgrown goldfish.

F

Frothey

maybe down here rob, but not everywhere. just have a read of cemex (rmc's) site....

Reaction score
If its empty why not think about another way which I think would be better than a lake packed with just carp like so many others.

You could stock for example carp but not fill it full of them so you walk on water.
You could add, Roach, Rudd, Tench, Crucian Carp, Perch and Pike and have a nice mixed fishery with a evenly stocked fishery taking into account how the fishery will grow as the fish breed in the future.

I would recommend a friendly chat with the EA who will advise you on correct stocking levels and what to expect in the years to come. Its very important that you do look ahead.
Don't jump into anything, you have a chance of running what could be a lovely fishery with something for everyone.

You Quoted:
My experience is that most anglers ask 'where are the biggest carp' and dont worry about what the lake is like, what sort of carp they are or anything else. Weight is often the be all and end all.

You are right in a way but you could change that way of thinking. I fear if you do stock a high level of carp just to please this type of angler your stocks will suffer in the years to come. Don't follow the crowd, try to keep an open mind.

C

Cakey

its giving what the crowd want though .................................or the crowd goes else where !

F

Frothey

other lakes on site for those that want to catch nuisance fish......

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Already have two lakes with tench, rudd, gudgeon, crucians, chub and the odd bream as well as carp.

what tends to happen is that anglers start with a small bait like maggots, and catch a gudeon first cast, second cast... then change to a bigger bait. I rarely meet anglers who are happy to catch rudd and gudgeon all day, but once you have these smaller fish they tend to make up a huge proportion of the biomass in the lake, outcompeting the carp for food on sheer weight of numbers.

so we have a couple of mixed lakes, and keep the silverfish out of the others. Guess which lakes grow carp the fastest?

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Stuart, I quite agree with your comments but Cakey makes a good point. Luckily I'm in the position that there is no pressure to make money, so I hope to be able to take a longer view. I would be happy to stock single figure carp and grow them on over a few years to good doubles and 20's.

Thanks for your constructive comments guys!

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Rob, it looks a lovely spot for a day out.

If its just carp then all I would suggest is keep the number of stocked fish low to start with. Hopefully they will breed and the numbers will pick up without a stunt in growth in the long term but I would still put some predatory fish in to help maintain a healthy balance. A quick fix is not always the best way.

Nice to see you have other lakes with a choice of sport for anglers.

L

Les Clark

Rob ,just had a look at your website cracking looking waters mate .

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Stuart - sorry for the delay in replying. Dogs yes, have a family night fishing with three dogs at the moment and a couple who visit regularly with 2 dogs. Jenny wren is good because there is plenty of room for them.

Predators are difficult - not allowed to have Pike is this part of the world. We are trying to get some Perch at the moment, they would make a good addition.

Thanks for your nice comments about the fishery, anyone is of course welcome to come and see it for real!

Reaction score
Thanks Rob for the reply.

We are planning a trip to meet his brothers and sisters and would love a day on there if we get a chance.
Nice to see dogs are allowed. Being I own a Newf the more room the better :)
You've a lovely fishery and one to be proud of.