Flyfishing books

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Stillwater Fly-Fishing for Trout", by Chris James, cos he's clear-thinking, lucid, has strong opinions well explained, and doesn't like wasting money! He cuts through a whole load of "crepe" and the media establishment probably hate him.

If you find it on ebay or in the remainder shops, grab "Techniques of trout fishing and fly tying" by George Harvey. This is another independent thinker and fine teacher at work; it may refer to American waters, but it's the way he thinks that makes this a great book.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I'd recomend two. One to teach you the technicalities and one to instill some enthusiasm in you. The latter has to be chalkstream chronicles by Neil Patterson. This is a great book about one man year on a chalk stream fishing for coarse species as well as trout but all on the fly. the technical one I would recomend is the complete guide to fly fishing by Lefty Kreh.

NT

Reaction score
Graham,
I like 'fly fishing for trout' by Tony Whieldon but its quite old. Lots of sketches and basic explanations. Leafing through it I found a map of water authorities, each issuing its own rod licence. (At least one thing has improved for the better!)
For inspiration & enthusiasm, I like to read John Gierach (Trout bum, Sex death and Flyfishing ...) - although he does write lots on things like hunting and ice fishing..

I can recommend Paul at Coch-y-bhonddu books (www.anglebooks.com).
Neil.

K

Keith Orange

Fly fishing for Trout by Bob Church and Peter Gathercole is a good intro to the subject, mainly aimed at stillwaters, with a bit on rivers. ?15.

If you will be doing a lot of river fishing then River Fly Fishing by Peter Lapsley. It's a basic instructional book and it's about ?17.

M

matthew nightingale

I second Keith with respect to the Peter Lapsley book. For still waters I recommend Peter McKenzie-Philps book 'Skill on Stillwaters'(?)

M

matthew nightingale

Proper spelling is Peter Mackenzie-Philips. Book amy no longer be in print but worth looking out for; also his videos if still to be found.

K

Keith Orange

I knew Peter Mackenzie Philps - I went to his fly dressing and casting classes in the early 80's.

Although I have his book, and it's good, I didn't recommend it because it's may be out of print and may be hard to find

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
For small stillwaters look at THE PURSUIT OF STILLWATER TROUT BY BRIAN CLARKE.

For reservoir fishing MY WAY WITH TROUT BY ARTHUR COVE is still a good read.

For rivers if you can pick up any thing by SKUES, SAWYER OR KITE from a cheap second hand bookdealer and read how books should be written; they are almost works of art!