Worms...

Andyw

Reaction score
This gonna sound really stupid.... But how do I attract and collect worms in my garden??

M

matthew nightingale

Not stupid. You have two options. For nice red worms get a composter from the council and use it. Given time you'll have all the worms you can eat.

As far as the big pink ones with the unpronouncable latin name I'm advised that the best way is to put you head torch on and wander about the park with a bucket after rain. The worms will be sat out on the surface with just their tails in their hole. Grab them but don't pull until they relax. Never tried it myself but got to be worth a go.

Or you could just buy them!

Andyw

Reaction score
Not sure about wandering about in the park... I'll get locked up... But I'll have a go in the garden!!

SIMONDO

Reaction score
I made a wormery last year.

I bought a black dustbin with metal fastening cleats to secure the lid. I then drilled about 20 3mm holes about 3cm up from the bottom. This was then filled with 150mm of gravel on top of which went 3cm of building sand. I then shreaded newspapers mixed with a bit of old grow bag and straw threw in some potato peelings and manure for good measure and gave it all a good watering. Any excess water drains out. I put and old cotton sheet over the top before putting the lid on, which prevents escapees.

The worms I first put in were leftovers from a session and since introducing them they have gone wild and reproduced many times.

I now have a ready stock and just throw a few peelings in every now and then and water from time to time to keep it all damp.

Joskin

Reaction score
If you want lobbies you got to get out onto your local cricket pitch with a torch at night when its been raining.

I too have a ready supply of worms at home. I went to the DIY shop and perchased a compest bin, threw in a couple of sacks of manure and some leftover worms and hey presto they just multiply. The compost bin came with a lid so that stops them from escapeing and also keeps alot of moisture in.

K

Keith Orange

If you build a compost heap, red worms will eventually colonise it, provided it's got earth for the floor (rather than concrete slabs or tarmac).

It's quciker to buy a purpose made wormery - a 20 litre bucket with a tap to drain liquid, a fly tight lid. I think I got mine from wiggly worms about 10 yrs ago. Might be on the internet.

M

matthew nightingale

Don't buy a wormery! Contact your local council and I bet they'll give you a compost bin free. I bought one and then one appeared on my doorstep; everyone in the street got one; looks like a dalek (in fact it did duty as my lads fancy dress costume last Field Day). Its all part of the Councils duty to encourage recycling.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Derby council offered two size compost bins for either a fiver or a tenner for the larger one. Can't remember the actual size but I got the smaller of the two (which is still pretty big).

It does look like a Dalek too!

I haven't started using it yet but now you've got me thinking about free worms then I shall be filling it up asap!

M

matthew nightingale

Simondo,

Don't throw water on a wormery; you'll do more harm that good. If things look a bit dry chuck in some old apples. The worms love it.

fishface

Reaction score
i was thinking starting a wormery does it have to be on grass or soil?

P

Phil Hackett 2

Monk
That isn't his new book that's his old book!
His new one is called - Composting with worms: Why waste your Waste? George Pilkington

Rave reviews before it published!

Even James Gibbinson (the Real one) Likes it!

Its out next month, so if you really want to know how to keep, breed and feed worms, this is the definitive guide, by one of the leading experts in the country.

It?s a limited print run and the book will fly off the shelves so get your orders in quick.
I?m not sure that the website the Monk gives will have it, so I?ll check.

Matt all worm scientific names are unpronounceable.

Eisenia foetida (Brandlings) Dendrobaena (dendros) Lumbricus Terrestris (lobs) Lumbricus rubellus (redworms) to list but four.

M

matthew nightingale

Fishface,

Just grass cuttings doesn't seem to work; it just goes slimy. Because my wife is into gardening we put all our vegetable waste into the compost bin as well as garden waste and grass cuttings. I've also been told that shredded paper is good for the consistency of the thing.

Sounds like the book Phil and the Monk are talking about is worth a look.

M

P

Phil Hackett 2

Matt your quite right about grass cuttings (particularly when they are fresh and green), it also might be to do with the closed system your using. The plastic bins you get from the council generate lots of heath and sweating. One thing worms don?t like is heat or extreme cold. Each species has a tolerance temperature rang where they are happy and thrive, and likewise a food source they prefer.
If grass cuttings are to be added they?re best put in when they are well rotted on a standard compost heap and past the heat generation stage.

Open systems are, George tells me, the best for composting and worm breeding. The website the Monk makes reference to has open systems for sale as does http://www.nurturingnature.co.uk/

In my open system I put all organic waste including cardboard, paper, teabags, food, garden wastes. In return for feeding the worms I get a rich compost which is one of the best growing mediums possible.

T

The Monk

hes doing well our mate George, Phil, he sent me a picture of the cover the other day, looks good, I have my signed edition on order.

P

Phil Hackett 2

He is indeed!
We're due a drink in M/C in the next few weeks, are you coming this time? Not sure of the date as yet. Gregg P will probably be there as well. Anybody else who feels they'd like to join us is welcome.

The conversation will revolve around worms, conservation and ecology. Nothing to heavy, but always informative. The venue will as always, be the Lass ?o? Gowery, good pub plenty of Real Ale brews on the bar.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Its just dawned on me Monk this might be the forming of a new Specimen Group the WSG Worm Specimen Group. :0) Now there?s a thought the biggest home grown Lob, fattest dendro the reddest Lumbricus rubellus, and/or the biggest bite from a tiger worm.

Yeh now we?re cooking on gas! And its even an open to all group!

T

The Monk

The conversation will revolve around worms, conservation and ecology. Nothing to heavy,

sounds good mate, give us a shout, I hope women are in that conversation somewhere?