Big River Trout on Streamers (It Works!!!)

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Morning all,

Had a huge weekend of fishing capped off by fishing the Edisford Hall beat of the River Ribble near Mitton on Sunday. The river is as low as its been in a long time, however a bit of rain late in the week had pirked it up. We had a few small trout to nymphs and dries but then decided to go for big stuff.

Down came the three weight, Out came the eight weight (floater), on went the clouser minnow (size 2 long shank). These were fished down stream and across in the faster water literally ripping the fly back across the current with big strips. The results were ridicuous. 8 trout between 1.5 lbs and 2 lbs, around 15 fish rolled on the fly and some of these were lost including two large salmon. The method also caught me my first sea trout of 1lb.

This is about the furthest away from traditional methods for a low clear river showing its bones. In fact its verging on the ridiculous. what can I say, on the day it worked. Just shows its always worth going and having a go. You never know.

If anyone else tries something similar I'd be really intereested to know how they get on....

Regards,

Richard

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just goes to show Richard, fish don't read the rule books. When I had that first lesson the instructor said "don't worry you won't catch anything on this fly its just for practicing". First cast and bang, one trout, another one that never read the rule book. I bet you really enjoyed that session, I can't wait for my first attempt on the river.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Wow I used to fish that way for estuary salt water species Richard.

davestocker

Reaction score
I've done the same kind of thing myself with Clousers on a number of northern trout rivers, though not quite as successfully in terms of numbers and sizes. It seems to work best in steady fast flowing water. What colour Clauser worked for you, Richard?

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
The clouser was not quite as 'loud' as some I normally use. It was white and dark olive and tied very slim. Looked quite eel like actually. The water I fished was a fast flowing pool where water was flowing hard down the centre with slack water at each side. I'd cast over to the slack water and let the fly get pulled into the fast water then strip it across fast.

One theory that I have is that with the river so low a lot of the fish had concentrated in the really fast water where oxygen levels were highest. Still though they hit it so hard!!! even the sea trout were going for it in broad daylight, sunshine in fact!!! weird