Hoilday Book Read

Peter West

Reaction score
Hi All. Going on holiday this coming Sunday, struggling to find some decent books to read, usually end up reading a least two or three while dosing round pool or beach, anybody read any good books recently, read most of the top ten listing going round at the moment, plus most of Richard and Judy book club, went to library today just to see if by any chance they had some new fishing books, no chance not seen a new fishing book in my library for a least three years read every fishing book in there. Peter

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
'A Short History Of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson is good, I'm halfway through at the moment and love being fed facts and quotes and stuff like that.

Maybe a bit dumbed down for anyone who paid attention in science at school but that's the idea, a humerous and concise (therefore not in depth and ponderous) take on the history of the Universe, Planet and our understanding of it all.

Erm........ 8 1/2 out of 10.

J

jason fisher

science of disc world 1,2 and 3 should keep you going for a couple of hours.

reasonably informative stuff and pratchett humour to go with it, plus it takes the piss out of americans and religious people both of which thouroughly deserve it.

or anything by terry pratchett start at the coulour of magic and work onwards there's currently about 27 books to go at there, till thud and where's my cow come out anyway.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Terry Pratchet wrote one (not a discworld) with another bloke and it was a bit more gothic but still funny and involved the coming of the end of the world) and I can't remember who the other guy was or the books name.

Good though.

W

William Spencer

have you read the davinci code by ian brown?
only fiction..................or is it?
good read

Peter West

Reaction score
Thanks all. Will have a look at this Pratchet bloke noticed before in book shops he has quite a few books for sale but never really been interested in him, but will now check him out again, read all Ian Browns book last year, brilliant read, keep them coming. Peter

Yan

Reaction score
If you want something that's easy to pick up and put down again I'd recommend Bernard Cornwell?s Grail Quest trilogy or Philip Pullman?s His Dark Materials trilogy. If you fancy something a bit meatier, try Louis de Bernieres South American trilogy, starting with The War of Don Emmanuel?s Nether Parts, or my all-time favourite ? Captain Corelli?s Mandolin.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Two autobiographies of fish-oriented chaps who can write a bit: "The Longshoreman" by Richard Shelton (fisheries scientist & wildfowler) and "Swimming Underwater to get Out of the Rain" by Trevor Norton (marine biologist). Not 100% sure I've got the second one right, cos I heard it serialised on the radio.(Praise in itself).

J

jason fisher

each of the blocks of books here has plot links or main charachters which move from one to the other, but death, the witches and rincewind can turn up in cameo roles in other books as well

the colour of magic
the light fantastic
sourcery
faust (eric)
interesting times
the last continent
the last hero

equal rites
wyrd sisters
witches abroad
lords and ladies
maskerade
carpe jugulum

pyramids
small gods

guards guards
men at arms
feet of clay
jingo
the fifth elephant
night watch
monstrous regiment

mort
reaperman
soul music
hogfather
theif of time

moving pictures
the truth
going postal

i'd certainly recommend starting with the colour of magic, mainly because he did and it's hilarious as well. the early witches tend to be shakesperian parodies.but if you read any of the blocks in the orders i've written them down you shouldn't get too confused.

the new one THUD is another city watch one so that will fit on the end of the guards guards block, but it's not released yet so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
and so ends my diatribe on terry pratchett

Peter West

Reaction score
Hi All. Going try and get the Longshoreman from library, wont hold my breath though, enjoy this kind of read, Yan, read Pullmans trilogy and Mandolin both good reads, my all time favourite was Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks, Jason I take it you?re a fan of Mr Pratchett, will start with the colour of magic and see how I go on, he?s certainly very popular in shops with how many books he has out, Paulio nearly got the Bible Code a bit back will give it a second look, Thanks All Peter.

PS try Birdsong I am sure you will all enjoy it.

J

jason fisher

you noticed then, yes i'm a pratchett fan he appeals to my strange sense of humour. the other sad thing is i've got all them books sitting onna shelf. plus all the others he's done.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Seriously--I like any of James Pattersons

F

Feeling tranquil

Wild Swans by Jung Chang,

Any of Patrick O'Briens naval novels from which we got the Master and Commander film.

Rain Men by Marcus Berkman about old duffers playing cricket.

Might not be everyones cuppa (cricket) but this is a study in human nature featuring backbiting, slagging etc.

He's followed it up with Zimmer men which is his team of old stalwarts 10yrs on and their geriatric ways. A right laugh and available from the library (well I got them from mine but my daughter does work there and she managed to get them in for me!).

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dont know if you are a Roman Catholic or not Peter.
If you are try- The Index. (o
Anybody else heard of this?
A list of books that Roman Catholics should not read.