Chub and Barbel beginner

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Hi all. I live in Aylesbury and was wondering where the best places for a novice to catch Chub and Barbel within 30 miles are. Also help on baits and tactics would be appreciated, as I've never caught either of these species. Cheers.

L

Les Clark

Jason ,Where is Aylsbury ,which county ?
You could be my my double ,give or take 20 years .Lol

L

Les Clark

Can`t help you mate but there should be a few on F/M who can ,best of luck .

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Best place for chub near to Aylesbury is the Upper Great Ouse which flows through Buckingham. This is prime chub water. I ahve fished it often below Buckingham on the Buckingham and District AC book.

The chub in the Ouse here are big, yet they are very crafty. A this time of the year you will have to stalk them. That means dressing in camouflage and crawling on your stomach. If the river is clear, that means you can see them, especially if you wear polarised specs. And in most cases they can see you if you are not careful. If they can see you you won't catch anything.

Take an Avon style rod, load your reel with 8lbs line, tie on a number 4 hook and take a little bag full of bread, a few lobs, some cheese paste or catch yourself a few slugs in the early morning dew wetted grass. You will also need a landing net of course.

When you get to about 15 yards of the river get totally prone on your stomach and crawl.

If you see a chub, cast a bait to it. If you haven't scared the cub it will invariably take the bait first time. Beware if you use a slug. They take it with tremendous force.

The hang on for dear life and heave.

The chub in the Upper Ouse average over 41/2 bs.

If you want barbel you will have to try the Thames or the Kennet. I have not fished these rivers all that much so I don't feel qualified to advise. I am sure someone else can.

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Cheers Ron. Can you fish the Ouse on a day ticket at all, or do you have to be a member of a club. Also if I use slugs do they have to be black, or will all colours catch?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I am not sure of the situation with the Upper Ouse at the moment but if I were you I would phone J&K Tackle in Bicester who will advise on tickets.

When fishing with slugs I like the big black ones, the bigger the better. If you are really interested in catching chub I would suggest you get Tony Miles book: "Search for Big Chub". It's one of the best books ever written on chub and lots of the tactics in there cover the Upper Ouse.

By living in Aylesbury you are treading in the shoes of one of angling's greats - Fred J Taylor who was born in your town.

**** Walker used to rent a stretch of the Upper Ouse downstream of Thornton bridge. You can find it on a map.

You can also have a look at the River Thame which flows quite near to you. It used to have good chub in it. Fred once told me they went to 5lbs.

Good Luck.

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Thanks Ron.
Your advice has certainly whetted my appetite to get out there and give it a go.
Cheers mate.

Reaction score
The river Thame holds Chub over 6lbs, I've had them over that at waterstock but the crays are awful. Big perch over 4lb and some great pike. I did an article for a club and when we went down to take some pics a lovely 4lb plus perch graced our net which was caught on a worm with a good old pin:) Its a river that holds many surprises yet is so under fished. My favorite river by far:)

Reaction score
It also holds tench and some huge bream as well. The bad news is no one took on the water this year, the walk is long and many anglers don't fancy a 20 min walk.

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Hi Stuart. Is the waterstock stretch day ticket, and is it the best stretch? Also I"ve heard there is a stretch at Shabbington have you fished there.
Thanks for the info.
Cheers.

Reaction score
Hi Jason

I don't know Shabbington as I've not fished it so I can't comment on that stretch.

Waterstock as far as I know is no longer fished which is a great shame. You would be pushed hard to find a better stretch on the Thame but its now gone and I don't know if any club will ever take it on. Fished it since a boy and it holds many memories but the rent was dear for little who fished it. Why anglers don't want big chub or near 5lb perch anymore is beyound me, perhaps the long walk was another downside:( A great stretch perhaps gone for good.

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Maybe heavily stocked commercial fisheries will be the downfall of small rivers such as the Thame.
Cheers mate.

Reaction score
Your dead right there. I'm part owner of one and the club that once fished the Waterstock stretch gave it up as no one fished it as anglers would rather fish our lake under the same club flag :(

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
I'm not running down commercials, I've some excellent days on them, Milton Pools for one. But maybe the lure of being able to catch Carp of 5-10lbs in abundance is too much for most casual anglers and newcomers. Personally give me a 4lb plus perch over a 10lb Carp any day.
Maybe I'm starting to get old but these days I prefer being by the river (also I'm starting to prefer bitter to lager).
Cheers for the chat mate. Good luck in your fishing.

chappers

Reaction score
if you can get there the river lea at dobbs weir is day ticket and holds some very big chub thanks to a large cray population day tickets are about ?2

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Sounds good.
Are the crays much of a problem and is it a popular venue?

Cheers mate

harry marr

Reaction score
BDAA waters can be fished on a day ticket yes, and **** walkers old stretch i now open to everyone aswell.
Chub to 6lb+ , massive shoals of bream and perch to 3lb, pike in high doubles what more could you want? lol

they have got to be the wariest fish ive ever gone after though as said crawling is a must and learning to cast from the floor helps. You can get the them feeding confidently for upwards of an hour but the slightest movement on the bank and theyre gone for good. waders help though they dont expect a waterborne approach!

Jason Briggs

Reaction score
Cheers Harry. Sounds like I'll have to perfect my commando technique. The venue sounds terrific though.
Cheers.