Social Experiment - Sunday 21st November

raf1870

Reaction score
Hi

Just reading up on the impact of the moon on feeding habits of fish.

With this in mind I wish to conduct a social experiment on Sunday 21st of November.

According to the research, and with reference to the Moon, is concentrate your fishing efforts at two specific times of the month.

That time is the three to four day period that coincides with either the Full or New Moon.

On Sunday 21st the moon moves into its Full Moon Phase.

Further to this, another factor which influences such feeding habits is the rising and setting of the moon.

The important thing to remember with regards to the moon rising and setting is that fish are more active during a 90 minute window surrounding this event.

On Sunday the Moon rises at 15:24 and sets at 08:04, so 45 minutes either side of this should in theory provide to be the most fruitful period of the day.

Therefore, the experiment is simple.

If you have blanked in the last few weeks - and I include myself here - then head out to the riverbank on Sunday and see whether this lack of success has a turn around.

Also jot down the times of your catches to see if this coincides with the rise and the set of the moon.

Then report back on Monday with your results :D

raf1870

Reaction score
Social Experiment - Update

After some further research, although Sunday the 21st is the day the Moon begins its full moon phase the best fishing days are those 2 or 3 days after that phase has begun.

So feel free to continue the experiment up to Wednesday the 24th of November.

Sunday 21st

Moon Set : 08:06
Moon Rise: 15:24

Monday 22nd

Moon Set : 09:17
Moon Rise: 16:05

Tuesday 23rd

Moon Set : 10:17
Moon Rise: 17:02

Wednesday 24th

Moon Set : 11:04
Moon Rise: 18:13

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
Funny you should come up with that, as that i too have been doing a bit of work too on the sexual habits of women , and it so happens that its the friskiest time of the month for them too. So haveing discoverd that , and as you have so kindly told me what times to expect this , i think the only bites i,ll be getting are on my neck. sun at 6 - mon at 7 - tue at 8 - and god if i,m not too tired wed at 9 woopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Sorry just had to do that. Just to be sociable that is.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I dont bother with all that moon stuff myself, but good luck to you.

I have had fish when it's full moon, and know others who have, I also know many who don't go fishing a all during or just after a full moon. Why, I have no idea.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Many a guy on the ribble will tell you when the moons out and its clear bites will be hard to come by ,the ribble thread contains some stuff that may be of interest to you ,one of the regulars on the thread always notes the moon .

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
In Australia I had trouble finding anyone who wanted to go fishing during a full moon.

A guide I know in Florida thinks that full moon gives better visibility for predators. Hence they have been feeding all night so are less inclined to feed during daylight. Meanwhile the prey fish spend more time avoiding predators and are too wired up to feed confidently.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
From records

new ----- 1st quarter ----- full ----- 2nd quarter
18.97----- 30.00 ---- 18.93----- 32.07

These are the results for general fishing for the moon phases. I have included all species (tench, bream, roach, chub, big/roach, cruciaan carp and rudd). This is taken from records from 2000 to present. Based on 5 points for small fish, 10 points for average fish and 15 points for good fish--in realation to the average size of fish for the water fished and converted to a percentage. This is for daytime fishing only. Not lot in it really but, it does vary from species to species. There is a month/species/moon table at anglingfor.co.uk. There is a graph attached to this post if I have uploaded it correctly.

Last edited: