Hook size

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I usually use size 10 hooks on my hair rigs cos thats what im used to when fishing for carp.

I have had alot of good fishing with this using pellets etc.

Over the weekend me and a friend went for a 24hour session and I only managed to catch 1 carp and that was about 6pm in the evening.

Now I was using a size 6 hooked hair rig (bought a load off ebay) I was popping up a flouro tutti frutti boilie with a method feeder.

Now all the time I was thinking to myself is the hook to big "can the carp see it?)

I just dont feel confident using this bigger hook size, dont get me wrong the carp was 14lb and most are mid double and plenty of 20's in the water but I guess I just need reassuing that a size 6 hook will catch carp of all sizes.

won't they?

thanks for your time guys

Alex

L

Little Stu!

Alex, I think a better way of working out what size hook to use is to base it on what size bait you use. Let this steer your decision.

I try to keep my hooks to a minimum size as I don't want my rigs sticking out like a sore thumbs. But a size 10 will be useless on a 20m boilie, as will a size 4 on a single grain of sweetcorn.

Its certainly a personal choice thing when it comes to confidence as you know. For me personally I tend to catch on the smalles hook possible for the bait I am using as where Cakey uses far bigger hook with an excellent catch rate.

C

Cakey

missed this one .......I use size 4 hooks for 99% of my fishing but what I try to do is balance bait with the hook i.e. a lot of anglers use a small hook and one grain of sweetcorn where as I use a longer hair and get 5 or 6 pieces on .
I am targeting a few river fish this season so I will be trying the single grain smaller hook method if I think my method is not working.