Fly Rod and Reel to buy?

L

Lee Edwards 1

Hi
Thinking of purchasing a new fly rod, I'm looking at the Sharpe's gorden range 10ft 6" 7/8 line with the Vision koma reel. (Res fishing)

anyone know if this rod is any good my other choice was the greys greyflex m2 and grx reel.

Not sure which to go for, any advice appreciated.

S

Shrek

OK, I know how to pitch my reply.

I've got a Greyflex M2 9ft 6" in a #6/7 and am very happy with it. It's got a fairly fast action and can happily handle any #6 line, either punching out with a tight loop or more softly with a wider loop, althought it struggles with a #7 and I can only fish a floating line on it in that weight. Playing fish is good to as the rod gives a lot of feedback so you know exactly what is happening on the other end of the line.

Personally I haven't tried a Sharpes rod but have spoken to a couple of friends who have tried them and one who has one. Feedback is they are a great casting tool, the 10ft #7 being able to hold up the whole length of a standard fly line, but fish playing abilities are poor as there is little or no feedback from the rod.

As for the reel, I have 3 GRX reels and find them excellent, especially with the cheap price of cartridge spools. Can't comment on the Koma reel as I haven't seen one.

I would say though that you'd be best of all finding a shop or a friend who has the rods in question and trying them out as, with fly rods especially, it's horses for courses. What I find wonderful, you might find attrocious.

Let us know how you get on though.

Cheers,

Adrian.

R

Richard Bartlett

Lee,
The Koma is an excellent reel. I bought one only a month or so ago, albeit the smaller 5/6 size for river use. To date I've used it possibly 5 times & can't fault it. The drag is very adjustable & smooth - & only operates one-way. Also, there's no horribly clicking, just a gentle tick tick. Retrieve rate is excellent, as are the cosmetics & build quality.

I actually intended getting the GRX, but was put off by the horrible noise it made. Whilst I spotted the Koma in the shop, I didn't initially check it out cos it had the look of a ?100+ reel - & more than I wanted to pay. However, once I realised the bargain price my decision was made!

I got mine from Carillon - ?59 inc spare spool:
http://tinyurl.com/d9nnu

Hope that helps

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Have a look at the Scierra IC3...
You get a wide arbour reel,4 spools and a proper padded reel case to carry the lot in
If you shop around you can pick one up for about ?45
and if you need MORE spools they cost ?5

G

Gary Knowles 2

Ed's right about the reel - cracking value and product, I've got one myself.

L

Lee Edwards 1

ok thanks

I finally went for the Sharpe?s Gordon 10 ft
and the vision koma 7/8 with snowbee xs line, tried it out today and the casting is great, thanks for all the feedback.