Australia

J

john ledger

Watched all the great sides since mid fifties South Africa West Indies but the Australian side of the last ten years is in my mind the best ever. Any argument and its pistols at dawn

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

The Australians have two of the greatest cricketers in Warne and MacGrath that the world has ever seen. They also have a line up that can bat right down to the last man. Even MacGrath can wield the willow with effect. And generally their fielding is impeccable.

They probably are the world's finest test side ever.

And the only way England can force a draw is through rain.

The only country that could give them a real game in my opinion is SA - IF they were allowed to pick a team on merit.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
The Ausies are the best in the world, but not as good as they were 2 years ago.
In 3 years when Warne and Magrath retire they will still be number 1 but it will be a hell of a game if the group of players we have now stay fit and improve.
SA havn't got the bowlers of 4 years ago Ron. They havn't replaced Donald, and Kallis is now a part time bowler rather than the 90mph first change wicket taker he was.
You're right about picking a team on merit though. How many other KPs will leave the country to get a game because of their racist policy.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

It's most unfortunate Mike. When Nelson came to power he spoke at length about equality amongst all South Africans and that we should be colour blind.

Yet it didn't happen.

It's said that Pietersen had to leave SA because he couldn't get a game with the SA side, and he truly is a world class player. Fortunately for him his mother is British.

Alan Donald (The SA Brummie) was one of the finest fast bowlers ever. I saw him grow up. Do you know there was a time when he could hardly speak a word of English? He was schooled in Bloemfontein in the Free State, a hotbed of Afrikanerdom.

Trouble with old Jacque Kallis, he probably imbibes too many Castles these days. He was once regarded by many as the greatest allrounder in the world.

J

john ledger

DB
You are right it should be on baitbox.Forgot to shove it on and dont know how to remedy.
West Indies had a good side but remove their four fast bowlers and they where lacking,in fact when the Aussie fast bowlers give them some of their own medicine they where found wanting.
Geoff Thomson fastest bowler of all time

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
What do you all think about the celebrations by Brett Lee, when he took Vaughans wicket in the last Test?
Personally I think it was disgraceful to the game! It was as if he was holding someone on the ground with his left arm and repeatedly punching them in the head with his right hand!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Hey Steve, you should see the yelling that Flintoff makes when he gets a wicket.

Seriously its all a bit of an act to get the crowd involved.

Test cricketers world wide are some of the friendliest people around off the pitch. I know, I have mixed with a few.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yeh, but your on about Flintoff taking an Australian wicket! Anybody can take an English wicket!:0)

F

Feeling tranquil

This Aussie side is the greatest ever even if slightly on the wane compared to two years ago. Take Warne out and the gap between 1 and 2 is smaller, no doubt about that. As good as McGrath is it's Warne that frightens our boys s***less! That bloody predetermined sweep that so many use drives me around the swining bend.

Uncovered wickets in this country haven't helped. There's a dearth of quality spinners here and our batsmen don't know how to use their feet as a result. Different story on the subcontinent which is where Warne's worst bowling figures are almost exclusively returned.

And as for SA giving them a game Ron that's a laugh. We are number 2 in the world some of which is judged on us spanking them last winter. As Mike says they can't bowl sides out twice which is something England have got used to doing. We just have to get McGrath to let his bunny Trescothick alone and stop Vaughan playing across or down the wrong line and we might surprise them.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Read what I said Nigel. The SA team that lost to England were not a true team. They were picked on PC and racial terms.

If the selectors had have picked a Proteas side on merit, it would have neen a different story

And didn't the SA "A" side beat England in a one day game?

J

john ledger

If South Africa ever get theit politics right they will be the next force in cricket

F

Feeling tranquil

Ron - one day cricket is bash crash crap and not an indication of test match playing strength. As for picking a side without a hindering selection process, take it from me they don't have a string of supreme white fast bowlers bashing the door down. Anyway for a country which suppressed the majority for so long with a heinous and racist apartheid system I for one will never weep for them as they struggle to get it right. Roll on the day that all the springboks are black in both rugby and cricket!!!

Now that would be getting their politics right John.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Obviously Nigel you don't understand one iota about South African politics. To make a statement like having an all black teams is another form of racism.

I lived there for 27 years and I can assure you that not all whites believed in the apartheid policy. Many whites in fact fought tooth and nail against the regime and some lost their lives because of it.

The sporting bodies were particularly against forced segregation.

Here is not the time to talk about SA politics except to say that a statement like your is based on pure ignorance of the true facts.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Positive discrimation is as awful as any other type of discrimation. People should be picked on their merits whatever the role.

J

john ledger

Quite correct Richard as was the case with the Great Basil De Oliveira.Great player great man

F

Feeling tranquil

Can't believe you were hooked that easily Ron! Honestly, never thought I'd catch that simply.

I don't honestly believe that any SA team in any sport should be all one colour be it black or white. But in 50 yrs time when the same opportunities sporting wise are open to all then we will see a time when it will be predominantly black simply looked at in terms of the racial make up of the SA population. Of course removing my tongue from my cheek this would all be based on merit and nothing else.

For all those that have lived and worked there though there would be a split on who thought it was ok to be there and support the regime and those who couldn't wait to get out or see change.

I personally know of three white SA's who took their whole families from their homeland and settled here in England once apartheid was seen off. Two of them confess to hating their black brethren and stated this as their reason for leaving.

Sad but true...