Help me someone......

davestocker

Reaction score
in spite of my Norton/Symantec 'alleged' virus protection, something has got through called a 'Trojan Download', which Norton claims in a dialog box to be unable to access. Problem is that the virus seems to have affected my ability to access my broadband connection, so I can't go online with the affected laptop to see what Norton recommend I do. Any ideas from those of you familiar with this kind of territory?

T

The Monk

I have one of those Trojan backdoor thingies a few week ago , it was a miner or something, somebody told me to download this zapper thing but I cant remember what it was??

alan

Reaction score
go on the norton website and look for the removal tool for the virus(just look at the name your pc is calling it) download it, save it to a disc, then install it on your laptop. just switch off system restore and run the program in safe mode.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Norton has blocked a few Trojans this last few days on mine.

Is there any way you can tell where they are coming from/who is sending them ??

alan

Reaction score
there are ways of tracing them, but most viruses 99% of the time infect a pc, hijack the email and spread themselves with the owner knowing. so attempting to trace them is a waste of time.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
some of the trojens arn't malicious as such
but are sophisticated spyware and any good
antispywhare should remove them if you run
xp then download and run Microsoft-AntiSpyware this is a good
Free(for now)anti-spyware microsoft brought
from giant .

there's some trojan/virus/antispyware tools
onmy downloads page

you may want to consider using Firefox browser which is less affected by trojans &
spyware ect

i hope theres something there to help

alan

Reaction score
"you may want to consider using Firefox browser which is less affected by trojans &
spyware ect"

i was under the impression that fire fox is no better for spyware etc then IE, the only reason there is less problems is because less people use it.

davestocker

Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone. I will proceed with the advice. FYI, I do cleanse my machine of spyware with spybot regularly.

Reaction score
Start your pc up in safe mode then check with Norton as it does not load all the drivers into your system which could be infected.
The windows cleaner is not as good as Norton for spyware at times. Norton will pick up stuff in your temp internet files and the windows one will not until you reboot and the spyware writes to your reg.

M

madpiker

adaware is a good spyware destroyer,as is spybot search and destroy.put either name in your search engine and you`ll find the download sites

Andy S

Reaction score
you may struggle to do any of this if, as you've said its damaged\stopping your broadband connection. If you have access to another PC with internet access download Stinger by McAfee, from the following URL:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

this is a standalone Virus program and checks\cleans all the latest virus' from your PC, hopefully it will remove the Trojan. Once your systems back up and you can connect to the internet update your Norton Anti-Virus software using the LiveUpdate program and then run this. Hopefully at this point your PC should be clean of virus'. Now you need to use AdAware and Spybot, (ensuring both have the latest updates installed), these together should remove any spyware.

On the downside, depending on the Virus, it may be impossible to fully remove/repair your PC and in such a situation all you can do is format the hard-drive and start again. Ive had to do this in the past when a virus has damaged the MBR, (Master Boot Record), of the hard disk, basically the part of the drive that stores critical system\startup information.

Most virus' work by infecting a host and then running routines to automatically send themselves back out to the internet using just your broadband connection and a table containing popular IP addresses. Theirs a good chance at the moment your PC is infecting other peoples PCs, its a vicious cycle. The best way to avoid this kind of thing is to use a firewall \ virus software \ spyware protection and avoid IE, Firefox in my book is a good alternative at the moment. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Buy Norton Ghost. You can copy your whole system then if any time you have a problem you can be up and running in a short time.