Base Mixes

J

John Cady

Being on a tight budget,what could i use for base mixes for both boilies and paste.(Apart from Semolina,Soya flour,Ground pellet).
Tight Lines John
P.s can not find reference to Line Aligner Anywhere ,how to tie ?.

P

Paul Williams

John,
Wiltons original HNV mix sounds resonably cheap if you can source the ingredients...
1oz Equivite
1oz Lactalbumin
5oz Casein
1oz Wheat gluton
1oz Soy flour
Just a thought! i reckon it would be as good today as in the 70's

J

John Cady

Paul,Thanks for reply,i shall investigate.Any more anyone.

D

David Will

John,Line aligner.The original idea was introduced to angling by Jim Gibbinson but invented by his brother Rick.
This is not tied but involves using a piece of either silicon tubing or shrink tube. After you have tied your hook on slide down a 2.5cm length of tubing down the hooklenght.It should at this stage just rest against the hook eye.Now peirce the tubing carefully 0.5 cm frm the end furthest from the hook.I do this with a fine baiting needle.I then bring the hooklength through the hole.The line should emerge from the hook point side of the tubing.Once you hace done this push the 1 cm of the tubing over the hook eye.
You could use a knotless knot which achieves the same effect.Hope this helps.Jim Gibbinsons Carp books all show the line aligner in photos.Big Water Carp or Gravel Pit Carping from LANEMAN publishing is what to look for.Good luck

R

Roto fryer

ok john try marriages of chelmsford for your base mix ingredients.

C

Carp Angler

If you are looking at fishmeals, then try Provimi 66.
Very cheap and 30 to 40% of the base for most fishmeals.

M

Marker

birdfoods are always a good bet,nectablend and red factor are good for bulk use in a bait.
i used to use 8oz of red factor and 8oz of semolina as a base mix,back when i was unemployed and skint.you'll be hard pushed to find a cheaper basemix than that.
cheers mark

J

John Cady

Thanks Everyone for information.
Has anyone ever tried Calf Milk Powder as base?
I had my P/B Mirror of the top last night weighing 18lb using a slice of bread and the cigar method.
I then caught 50lb of smaller Carp on the waggler using Cockles ,first time i,d ever used them really amazed.Must now try Chick Peas and Tigers .Cheers John.

R

Rob Brownfield

Premiers Fishmix has caught me loads of fish..and its cheap!

As for not using a pellet as a base...why? Its one of the most effective and cheapest baits i have ever used. I went to a farm supply shop and bought 25kg of salmon pellets for ?20 This made up about 35 kg of boillies...for a total cost of around ?35. And do u know something, they have outfished just about every shop bought boillie I could find. To change the bait, add extracts etc..

Wonderful stuff that can be air dried with no loss of catching power.

M

Marker

calf milk replacer is a good addition to a bait,only a couple of oz per pound though.
best get it from a local livery or farm as you'll find its cheaper.
cheers mark