John Wilson rod bag mystery

D

david bruce 1

Last night in the pouring rain I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out which piece of my John Wilson Barbel rod went into which compartment of its rod bag. Not to mention trying to get the three tips to fit into the tube. In the end I stuffed any 'extra bits' inside my quiver and gave up. Its more difficult than tying a size 22 (not that I can remember when I could or needed to hand tie a size 22). Is there a formulas and can I run it on my hand held pc? HELP

M

madpiker

why don`t you buy a holdall and carry them ready made up,it saves time tackling up in rain etc.

Y

yoggy

I"d agree with madpiker on this its far easier to take your rods already made up with a couple of rod bands round them to keep them secure,carry them in a quiver to make life even easier.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
lets see if i can remember the way the rod
goes in its bag .
1.butt section(cork butt + 1st section)
2.avon tip (full size)
3.quivertip section (3/4 size)
4.butt extention (1/2 size)
5.quivertips tube (1/4 size)
i have trouble getting it right in daylight
sometimes and that tip tube is too small on
the inside i try to get two tips facing up
and one facing downwards even this can be like westling ells in a sack sometimes.i've
been toying with just taking two tips and
leaving the lightest tip (yellow one)behind
taking the (red tip)next heaviest tip along
with the stiffest tip (green tip) as these
are the ones i use the most.

D

david bruce 1

Thanks Chavender its good to hear of other struggling. I'll paste your formula on the outside of my quiver.

As for those two defeatists Madpiker and Yoggy what can I say - where's your sense of adventure! Live on the edge for once !

Cheers everyone

M

madpiker

i do live on the edge..........the edge of the somerset levels!!!!!

D

david bruce 1

Madpiker
So did I once but they weaned me off the cider :) Hic!

Fat Blerk

Reaction score
I had to laugh at this post. I went through exactly the same thing on a cold December day , 2 days after I had bought the same rod. My hands were so cold I was almost in tears and I just couldn't get the pieces in the bag and ended up carrying the rod in pieces back to the car and had to sit with the heater on full blast for 10 minutes before I could drive. Once home and thawed out, I realised that that you have to remove the dolly section extending piece and put that in its own compartment, and then put the handle and the rod back together to go in the bag. As for the quiver tips sections thats an entirely different matter. I have spent a long time trying to get one of the sections back in, its like one of those wooden block puzzles. You have to take them all out and start again.

I am with madpiker and yoggy, I have my rod made up all the time now. I can't be bothered with mathmatical puzzles when I'm fishing.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

"I can't be bothered with mathmatical puzzles when I'm fishing."

I'm told E=MC2 is essential in boilie recipes.

Robbie H

Reaction score
Must admit also had a few problems with my JW barbel rod. Main one was working out how the dolly bit went in! Mrs of all people suggested i was atempting to add it 'up side' down, which really didin't help at the time. But one had to eat humble pie, after i tried her suggestion.
Ask me about physic etc, no problem; putting a rod together, forget it! lol

Robbie H

Reaction score
Out of interest, what's people's verdicts of the rod? I'm very happy (once assembled) and works well for me.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i think some people are put off by the name
on the rod but it is a very underestimated
peice of tackle,its well made and is more than up to the job it was intended for,i've
even used mine on commercial fisheries for
carp feeder work,mine not let me down or as
locked up on me,the only problem i've had
is the same as the avon/quiver the tips not
going back into their carry tube,admittedly
i've not managed to get any double figure
barbel on it yet but i keep trying one day i'll break through that barrier soon i hope