The dream fishing holiday

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
If you had a genie grant you a wish for a 2 week fishing holiday anywhere in the world, money no object, where would you go and what would you fish for?

fred hall

Reaction score
If you had a genie grant you a wish for a 2 week fishing holiday anywhere in the world, money no object, where would you go and what would you fish for?
Hi Geoff,assuming that I'm allowed to throw in time travel I'd like to fish Derryvoney Lake near Belturbet in County Cavan twenty years ago. The fish were not anything out of the ordinary roach, perch (decent by Irish standards), skimmers and bream. It is just such a brilliant place to go fishing. Sadly when I was last there in 2004 I didn't even bother to tackle up as the solitary angler on the water had been there for 4 days without a bite. For me, Derryvoney
symbolises the heartbreak of a water once being a great fishery and then for whatever reasons going completely down the pan.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
2 weeks .(if only)Right now I would start next monday and spend a day or 2 looking and sussing the car parking, then spend the rest fishing the tidal Thames from Teddington down to as far as I could get towards central London in a week. The lowest I have fished is Kew bridge, my local club have an annual match here and the main quarry is bream but there are clonking dace and roach as well , in fact you never know whats coming next.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'd book a trip to see my cousins in New England and go fishing for striped bass with them. Waah!!!! They can't half pull your string.

The stripers that is not my cousins.

Although they have been known to wind me up a bit!! :eek:

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
I remember fishing there and hearing the army helicopters patrolling. The morning mist was often too thick to see to the other side. There was a drop off about 35 yards if I remember right and the fish used to swim up and down that area back and forth all day. You'd know when your turn was coming because the blokes to your left or right would catch a few fish, then for 20 minutes it would be your turn then they'd move on and be back later.

Reaction score
India, mahseer everytime!

Northern, southern, don't care! It feels like my second home.

Barbel on steroids in the most beautiful surroundings!

Mr. Eddie,

Early Jan looks good re: Severn fishing :)

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My choice would be to go back to Southern Norway for some of the best Coarse fishing on the planet.

Gorgeous Dace, Roach, Crucian Carp, Bleak, Vederbuk (Ide) Chub, Perch and Pike in beautiful and natural surroundings untouched by stupid humans hands or deeds.

To fish grand rivers like the Glomma down to smaller ones like Nittelva, and lakes and ponds that hold natural fish in natural surroundings.

Come to think of it, why not next summer . . . . . . . I might even pack the golf clubs too so as to try out a few of the courses I missed out on about 25 years ago.

I was back in Oslo for a few days before my illness in August but that was with my daughter to see some old friends and the lady of my dreams who I once lived with over there . . . . . .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'd book a trip to see my cousins in New England and go fishing for striped bass with them. Waah!!!! They can't half pull your string.

The stripers that is not my cousins.

Although they have been known to wind me up a bit!! :eek:

Aaargh....I'd fogotten about stripers. Can I have a week after them too please ?

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Probably the Amazon. Everything fights hard, there a thousands of species many of which are spectacular to look at and its pretty wild and untamed.

Yep, the Amazon.

fred hall

Reaction score
I remember fishing there and hearing the army helicopters patrolling. The morning mist was often too thick to see to the other side. There was a drop off about 35 yards if I remember right and the fish used to swim up and down that area back and forth all day. You'd know when your turn was coming because the blokes to your left or right would catch a few fish, then for 20 minutes it would be your turn then they'd move on and be back later.

We ,number 1 son and self, don't recall the helicopters but otherwise it's exactly as you describe it. It was just a wonderful place to fish.
Sorry everyone, I'm just getting caught up in the nostalgia!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Mine would be in the Americas. Start at the top and work down. Sturgeon and chinook salmon in BC/Washington state; fly down to Bahamas for bonefish; then to Costa Rica for back-country tarpon and finally to a secret location in sth American for a golden dorado. (I don't know where that is). Just about squeeze all that into 14 days.

Bluenose

Reaction score
The year we went Fred (Ithink this was 92) apparently, the water had dropped massively from the previous year/s.

I don't think we caught 'massive' bags but everyone caught well. That was the draw of the place.

Philip

Reaction score
Money no object I would prob go to New Zealand and Australia in a 4x4 with a tent in the back and travel round fishing for a year...

However I have to say the best fishing « holiday » I ever had was quite a few years ago I managed to wangle getting on a training course for a week that was held right by the river Kennet. Every evening after the course I trotted off to the river and fished it till the next morning getting basically an hour or so's kip before the course started again the next day. Boy was I tired but it was great.

The other thing I remember about it was that despite being on expenses in a really swish hotel I asked room service to make me a sandwich and wrap it in tin foil every evening and added the specific instruction that they should bring it to my room with some milk in a pot with a spout (...so I could pour into my Thermos of tea of course!)

The hotel staff thought I was completely nuts. Happy days, very silly but I would prob do that again...