New Quivertip

colsmiff

Reaction score
I am currently using the JW ideal Avon quiver for my tip fishing, however I am finding the tips supplied (2.5 and 3oz according to an email for Masterline when I enquired) to stiff for the silverfish on the stillwaters I fish. Does anyone out there know if the donkey-top will take softer tips, say 0.75-1oz? or will the rod be unbalanced with such a soft tip.
The other option is to use a threaded tip on the avon top- again will such a soft tip work with a 1.25lb test curve avon top?
Any suggestions for replacement makes of tips that will work in this situation gratefully accepted.
Alternatively, recommendations for an inexpensive soft tipped rod for close stillwater feeder/ledgering...
Many thanks in advance

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can you get a spare fine glass tip and sand it down slightly?

colsmiff

Reaction score
That's a possibility. I think I will just have to take the donkey-top along to the tackle shop and see which tips will fit inside it. My main concern is that the rest of the rod may be too stiff for a fine tip, so that if I do connect with a bonus fish, the tip may break.

colsmiff

Reaction score
I have never used a swingtip, but it might be worth a go.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I said "SPRING-tip" - its like a quiver-tip, but pushes into a spring at its butt.
When you want extra sensitivity, you pull the tip part-way out of the spring- once the spring bends, it collapses and becomes more like a singtip.
A chap called J.M. Galley is selling someon ebay, if that helps...
Swingtips and butt indicators are worth practicing with, as well! (Butt indicators are particularly useful for tight swims where you can't get the rod round sideways).

Paul B

Reaction score
I use a polaris sidewinder on my wilson avon for bream/tench etc; clips onto the rod and is a bit like a quiver but fits about halfway down the rod.
Comes with two different rated 'quivers' and has two positions on the adaptor so you can vary the tension from soft to hard. Can be fitted after setting up the rod as it has a pig-tail on the end of the 'quiver'.
A bonus is that the rod points forward not sideways as usual with a quiver so is ideal for tight swims.... about a tenner I think.

colsmiff

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I found that Browning tips will fit the donkey-top with a little sanding. Seems to do the job. May still invest in a sidewinder for those tight swims. Cheers.