Secret Lake

R

Richard Drayson

Has anybody ever found the location to the `Secret`Lake that featured in the BBC series "A Passion for Angling".
I think it is a private estate water in the Hants, Dorset, Wilts area. I don`t want to fish it, I`m just curious to know where it is.

C

Carp Angler

I believe it was called Stub pond and is on a private estate near Andover.
Not the Stub pond day ticket water of the same name.

I could be totally wrong though ;o)

R

Richard Drayson

Thanks Rik, I had a quick look on the map but couldn`t find it. Do you know the name of the estate?

R

richard thomas

i take it "Harry" was never caught then, or seen for that matter? i think harry was havin a laugh

G

GYPSY DAVE

If any one was to drive from poole (dorset) north on the A 350 and took the first exit off a certain roundabout,say one of the first 3 or 4, look for a very high, very long wall, you won't be a million miles away. please note this estate is extremely private. well patroled (as i have found out personaly) and both the owners and keepers take great offence to "guests".
GOOD LUCK>

G

GYPSY DAVE

Dear carp angler,
congratulations.
p.s. we cannot live a million miles apart if you know it.Are you going to somerley lakes open day on saturday? I am.

R

Richard Drayson

Rik, take a closer look next time you pass the gates and you`ll see the stag has five legs!
Gypsy Dave, thanks for the info.

C

Carp Angler

Saturday is Ringwoods carp match at Northfield, so no dice on the Moreys open day.(That'll fool the youngsters)

5 legs ! ! ! ! !
I don't want to know about that.......

R

Ron Clay

I have fished at several "secret" locations in my life. The one I remember most was a small lake, about 3 acres situated about 40 miles from my home.

It hade all the ingredients of a secret lake. Lily pads, rushes and papyrus around the margins. Old dead trees in the shallow end. and about 40 bloody great carp up to 60 lbs I would say. I used to fish it in the traditional way with Tag Barnes Carp Rods and floating bread crust.

An aquaintance once tol me that Flt Lt Burton of BBs Confessions of a Carp Fisher used to visit this water in the 30s.

I caught many of the carp but never the biggest. Best was 29 lbs, a Leney type linear mirror that fought very well for carp in that part of the world.

We had many happy hours there under the big willow trees with a barbie and a cold beer or two waiting for a bite.

The fish also took sweetcorn and a paste made by boiling white maizemeal and letting it ferment a bit.

At the time the estate was owned by a business aquaintance of mine who was a brewmaster with SA Breweries,

Then he sold the place and I lost the exclusive right to fish there. The new owner's wife had the lake drained because she didn't like the mosquitoes on a summer's evening. I never saw it again.

I regarded that women as a bloody murderer.

S

Stephen Hastie

The reason for the fifth leg is becauce from the house you can only see three legs due to the angle, so they put other one in so it looks right if you see what I mean

Steve