Grafham

Paul Daniels 2

Reaction score
Going to be fishing Grafham this weekend. Never fished there before. I was wondering if any body has any hints and tips.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Take a drogue and do some over the front drifting. Start out with a fast sinker and some pulling flies.

Then change up to floating line with a 20 foot leader.

For flies make sure you have plenty of buzzers, some damsel nymphs and pullers.

Good luck.

NT

Reaction score
Hi Paul. I am fishing at Grafham on the 27th please let me know how you get on.
Unless there is fish rising, I fish / start with a slime line with damsel & nymphs (pearly PTN, diawl bach & cruncher) as the fish are starting to take fry. If this isn't working go deep. Favourite spot is over by the dam the far bank opposite the lodge.
The info at the lodge is usually good / has accurate info. Also the rutland gillies website has the latest reports.
http://www.rutlandgillies.co.uk/blog/grafrut.html
Good luck, Neil.

Paul Daniels 2

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replys.
I was planning to use a floating line, long leader with small buzzers, ptn, grhe etc,
Was also thinking i might have a scout round the bays and weed beds to see if i can pick up a couple of fry feeders.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I/m no expert on resevoirs but from limited exsperience sounds good re the buzzers and long leaders. make the leaders really long and hardly retrieve them. Just stay in touch. Worked for me and Ron on Rutland when nothing else would. Best of luck

Rich

Paul Daniels 2

Reaction score
Well.....everyone fishing Grafham on Sunday seemed to do well. Except me and my boat partner.
We only managed 4 takes all day, only one of these resulted in a fish in the boat.

Other boats were reporting 15 - 20 fish per boat.
Who knows what we were doing wrong.

The takes that we did get were on small claret hoppers.

Others had success on sparklers, floating fry etc

NT

Reaction score
Paul, Sorry you only caught one fish. I did well at Grafham and caught ten and our team of four caught 26 overall and finished joint 4th, which is a great result for us,without any practice,but see below. I caught mine on a slime line and all sorts of lures with the last one only taking a nymph. Successful patterns were white sparklers, damsels, black & green blobs and a pearly PTN. We stayed around B bouy with most boats around G bouy. Conditions were perfect overcast, and nice ripple.

Fish were on fry and daphnia - in fact the largest 3lb6oz had a perch & bream fry in him.

I fished Chew last week and blanked on two days - just when I was getting some good catches..

Some hints I can offer are:
1 Use fluorocarbon (6 to 8lb+) and NOT mono
2 Use a slime /clear glass intermediate
3 If you don't find fish keep moving
4 Sometimes its best to try away from over boats on a clear drift
5 Fish can be quite far awy from the shore eg around B bouy on that day

Neil.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Remember that these big reservoirs present some of the greatest challenges in fly fishing. In my life I have had lots of blanks on such waters, but to me a true blank is when you don't learn something.

Stick at it, keep moving if you are not catching and eventually you will become in tune with the water.

Then watch out. You will need a darned big deep freeze.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Here's a little tip regarding slime lines.

Most fly fishers put a braided loop on the end of these lines.

Don't.

Needle knot a butt piece of about 10 inches of 10 lb fluorocarbon with a loop at the end. Then you can loop-to-loop your leader without having a bit of very visible braided loop being pulled through the water, thus negating the invisibilty of the slime line.

It's little things like this which can mean all the difference.

NT

Reaction score
Ron,
Sorry to contradict you, but I have a braided loop with a RED and ORANGE sleeve on to hold it in place. It helps me to know when to lift off and hang the flies.
I catch a lot of fish on the slime line - even two yesterday at Brenig.
Neil.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Sorry but I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one Neil.

I've found the total opposite.

I think that because you fish trout matches according to match fishing rules, your comments might have some merit.

But for me, I prefer to keep a clear line as I think it should be kept, clear right up to the fly.

And I also catch lots and lots of trout on slime lines. Mind you I don't like the name. Who invented it?

NT

Reaction score
Ron, The thread was about Grafham and my experience holds true on large still waters of which I do fish a lot these days. I am sure on a small heavily fished stillwater you are right and there could be benefits for keeping the line clear and not scaring shy fish. My slime line worked at Press Manor - I just could not keep fish on after hooking them!

The fish will always have the last say and disagree with both of us.

I think scientific anglers mastery was the first slime line - I guess it looks slimy - clear and transparent and sort of a jelly.. I can't recall who christened them.

Neil: weapon of choice :clear intermediates at dawn then...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Personally I do prefer a floating line Neil.

By the way I would like to hear your comments on the colour of floating lines.

For years I used to dye my floaters dark brown using Dylon. Recently, because I am getting old and lazy, I have not bothered.

And yet still I catch lots of fish.

Where I did find it an advantage was small shallow crystal clear streams.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Surely any colour line viewed from below against a lighter sky would look black

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

Quite right Ed.

The debate on fly line colour was done to death I think, by John Goddard, Brian Clarke and **** Walker in the early 80s.

And dear old Arthur Cove used peach coloured line for years and caught lots of trout.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I personally don't think that coloured line affects the fishing unless your in gin clear waters and the tip of the fly line is actually under the surface of the water. Aparantly those in New Zealand fishing gin clear streams for monster fish favour green natural coloured lines.