Floating for carp.

Slippy

Reaction score
Can anyone offer me some advice to the following..........I want to fish my local lake which contains silver fish aswell as tench and carp.I would like to float fish for carp and was wondering what tackle I would need.I am intending to get a waggler rod possibly the daiwa megaforce power waggler.Would this be ok for carp, I am not after the 30 pounders just upto 12 pounds or so and also tench.Also I have a browning 13ft match rod which i would like to use with sweetcorn but what happens if a large carp takes the bait? Will my match rod cope with a carp or just snap? Sorry if the answers to my questions are obvious but i am a complete novice.Thanks for any help.Its much appreciated.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you hooked a carp on the match rod, your hooklength should break first.

I don't know anything about the powre wagler so hopefully somebody else can advise you on that one.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If you have the clutch set right you have a chance of landing the carp baring any snags in the area. At worst as Baz says above your hooklink should snap way before the rod.

What breaking strain line are you using on the match rod

Slippy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.I havent decided on a line yet.Do you have any suggestions.I thought perhaps i would get a reel with spare spools so i could use 1 breaking strain for the silver fish using maggots and another with a stronger line for pellets and sweet corn.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I would get a second reel for the waggler rod then you can have both set up.

Match rod 3Ib reel line
Waggler rod 6-8Ib reel line

Just remember its not the fish that snaps the rod its the angler. Always set the clutch and check it before and during your session.

Glenn Cowie

Reaction score
Ive got a 13ft match rod, and my friend took it to our local lake floating for smaller carp and ended up with 22lb mirror, and it took that no worries. Jus get the clutch right, and be ready!! That was using 8lb main line.