Is this a grass carp??

Tony Campbell

Reaction score
Could anyone cast an expert eye over this carp and let me know if, in their opinion, they would say it ia a grass carp?? What makes me think it is, is the slenderness of the body. What do you think?

www.ebayspace.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/1123668788.jpg

Ignore the rest of the photos (storage for ebay sales pictures) of useless knick knacks, they are for my ebay sales.

njb51

Reaction score
doesnt look like any i've seen.

They have a funny lookin eye that is pretty much inline with their mouth. They also have a longer nose than regular commons.

Sam Morris

Reaction score
I don't think it's a grass carp, often common carp even go black, i don't no why but my guess is it's a common that's darker than usual.

L

Little Stu!

there are admittedely some similar features, but it looks more to me like a carp that has to compete for its food a lot more than other carp in other venues would.

It would be interesting to kmow the stock level on that venue, i.e are there many same size fish in the lake?

Wayne T

Reaction score
Nah, its eyes are set too high on its head and its lips look too big/rubbery!
Looks like a slim common to me.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Definitely a common, perhaps with some distant gene from a wildies - is that mouth damage making it look so ugly?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

No it aint a Grass Carp. A small Common with deformed mouth, looks like Cakey.

Tony Campbell

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys,
The venue that this one was caught at, is called 'The Brickie'. It's in scotland at Inverkeithing. It's an old brickworks/claypit that was flooded sometime in the distant past. I beleive that the fish were stocked by English sailors/dockworkers from the nearby Rosyth dockyard, so that they could do a bit of coarse fishing whilst working up here.
Lots of species..... Carp (mirror and common), Tench, rudd, roach, perch, pike and Gudgeon. Free fishing (nobody, including the police, know who owns the land), a bit untidy, due to being in the middle of an industrial estate, but there does seem to be a hell of a lot of fish in there. I think the water is about three to four acres in size.

Tony Campbell

Reaction score
BTW, Blunderer asked about the mouth damage... when caught, there was a size 8 (ish) hook tied to steel trace stuck in the carps mouth!! God knows what some Ar**h*le has been using. It looked fairly recently hooked too. There wasn't much in the way of rust on the hook or trace. It was duly operated on and then patched up with germoline before being released...... might be the reason for the long and lean look??

S

Steaker - WTSSG(hon)

Seen that deformity a number of times on commons. In some instances it appears to be a compensation for severe hook damage.
Almost as though they have grown a new, smaller harder lip from the scarring.
Others have had no evidence of abuse and it simply seems to be a growth defect.
Dog biscuit on here and some of my colleagues, refer to them as "parrot faced" carp. Most of us simply slip them back into the water discreetly. A photo? Out of the question!