Just One Book

B

Bob Hornegold

As a collector of fishing books, I was wondering what other site user consider the Best Fishing Book they have ever read?

For me its:-

The Deepening Pool by Chris Yates

M

matthew nightingale

I picked up George Melly's book called 'Hooked! Fishing Memories in an airport a few years ago and would recommend it to anyone (apart from my grandmother). Its very honest, touching and some very evocative descriptions of fly fishing. It also has coined the phrase 'dock leaf moment' in our office and you'll have to read the first few pages to understand that one! Well worth ?7.

T

The Monk

Must say Quest for Carp by the late Jack Hilton followed by BBs Wood pool the Story of a carp water

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Deepening Pool I thoroughly enjoyed, and I enjoyed Trout at 20,000 Feet by John Bailey as well.

My favourite book though has to be The Fishermans Bedside Book because its easy reading at bedtime and covers all different aspects of angling.

P

Phil Hackett PCPL with Pride

Old Man of the Sea Hemingway
And I've never sea fished in my life.
Just something about the story that captured my imagination as kid.

N

Nigel Moors.

John Wilsons 50 yrs a Fisherman is a damned good read.

Somehow think that the forthcoming **** Walker book by Barrie Rickards might be up somewhere.

T

The Monk

Old Man of the Sea Hemingway

I`ve only just read this Phil, our Lee gave me a copy, a magificent read

C

Chub King

Confessions, followed by Casting At The Sun, Stillwater Angling also very good, as are No Need To Lie and Walker's Pitch (also Walker).
Enjoyed Chris Turnbull's A Time For Tench (good up-to-date book on tincas).
And what avbout Sheringham? The former angling editor of The Field was the first angling writer to reach a mass audience on a regular basis and has a great way with words. I haven't read any Isaac Walton - too oldy worldy for my tastes.
Good news is that the great Terry Lampard is at the final stages of publishing a book which I'm convinced will be awesome.
Magic Moments is good (Phil and Steff), especially on big fish venue info, unfortunately it was proof read badly and is littered with annoying literals.
Chub (ed Cacutt), by the Chub Study Group is the comprehensive collection of writings on the species, an excellent book, though very hard to obtain.
As an aside, for people who like great books on fishing, it's likely they will really enjoy a set of books by a guy called Jim Corbett. He hunted man-eating tigers and leopards in India between the wars. A box set of five books is published by Safari Press. These are without doubt some of the best books I've ever read of any genre. Check them out, you'll love 'em!

Fishing Gimp

Reaction score
There are so many great Angling books and all the ones mentioned are great but the books that have meant the most to me over the years are as follows and in no particular order:

1. Dictionary of Trout Flies by
A. Courtney Williams.
2. The Carp Strikes Back by Rod Hutchinson
3. Nymph Fishing in Practice by
Oliver Kite.
4. Minor Tactics of the Chalk Stream by
G. E. M. Skues.
5. Fishing for Big Chub by Peter Stone.
6. Fred Foster's Swingtipping.
7. Tench by Len Head.
8. Drop me a line by Richard Walker and
Maurice Ingham.

All of these books have had a profound effect on my fishing but if I was held at gun point and made to choose just one book out of the plethora of Angling Literature that I think is probably the finest book on Angling ever written then there is only one contender,not only for the style of prose but the sheer comprehensive knowledge of the quarry and the consumate expertise demonstrated within its covers...CLEARWATER TROUT FISHING WITH WORM by SIDNEY SPENCER.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bring em back alive by Jim Corbett was one of the first books to get my attention. In fact I think I still have it somewhere.

Little Egret press is doing a reprint of 'Chub My Way' by Tony Miles.
I have the book 'Search For Bib Chub'
Can anybody tell me if there is any significant difference between the two?

C

Chub King

Can't help you there Baz. 'Search' is a great book though, everything the chub angler needs to know.
What's Bring Em back Alive about? Big cat hunting?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes mate it is. He was trapping for a zoo at the time. One particular leapord he was after was trapped in a pit half filled with water.
Just found two more, 'The Temple Tiger' and more man eaters of Kumaon, by Jim Corbett
And 'The man eating leapord of Rudraprayag.
Which ended up hunting him.

'Man Eaters of Tsavo' is another good read, the film 'The Ghost and the Darkness' was based on it.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if Bring em back alive, wasn't by Frank Buck, I think it was.

C

Cakey

"200 carp tips" by bill and ben or what ever their name was.......

B

Bob Hornegold

Let's try again, your on a Desert Island and you can only Have One Book.

Which one would it be ?