Pre-baiting advice required!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I’m off on a Friday morning first thing and will finish (hopefully happy) on Saturday around noon. I will be fishing a pop-up on top of a bed of hemp and corn with Vitalin and a carp groundbait. I’m gonna pre-bait in the evening and the morning for two days before the session with the above loose baits in fair quantities.

I will be baiting up three swims and want to know how many boilies I should be throwing in per swim before my session bearing in mind I will be visiting the venue twice a day.

Thanks in advice in advance guys and gals!
Stuart

C

Carp Angler

If you look back through the forum, this question gets asked quite often and the first thing to establish is the head and size of carp and the numbers of 'nuisance' fish.
Will the birdlife be part of the equation aswell?

If the head of carp is not known, then previous prebaiting with highly visable baits to establish quantities being eaten is required.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I fished there a two weeks ago, and there was no probs with birdlife and no issues with nuisance fish. I had a 16 and a half out and two hook pulls. I have changed my rigs to suit. Their is a quite a good head of carp, so I'll be using bright baits. It's just that I've never had the time to pre-bait in the past and I now have the opportunity!
cheers in advance

C

Carp Angler

So there are no tench, bream or roach in the lake, fantastic.

Quite a good head of carp.......
is that 50 doubles in 2 acres?
100 20's in 10 acres?

The problem here is that 5kg's of bait could be a drop in the ocean and gone in 10 minutes, or it could sit on the bottom for a week.

Sorry Stuart, I'm not being funny, but if you want decent advice, then I'll need better info.

I could say, put in 2kg's per spot twice a day and you could then be sitting on rank bait.

There again, if you only put in 20 baits per spot a day, that could be a waste of time and bait and a missed opportunity to catch well.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
ok, ok, now I see where you are going... There are very few tench, very few bream but many perch who seem off boilies at this venue. There are around 10x 30's and about double that in twenty's and the average fish sits around 17lb.

It's a 10 acre venue??

cheers...

C

Carp Angler

I don't know how you measure your vitalin, but I measure mine by the pint, the same as my hemp.

I would probably bait with 1 pint of hemp and 1 pint of vitalin(approx depending on amount of water in the hemp), plus corn (half a tin) and about 50 boilies per spot, twice a day leading up to the fishing.
I would then halve these amounts when I started and only top up after activity.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Cheers Matey! I've taken your advice on board and will put it into action on the days leading up to my session. I'll give you a shout on Sunday/Monday 'Old Guru' to let you know how I got on.

Thanks Again
Stuart

C

Carp Angler

Not so much of the 'old'.
That's reserved for luminaries such as Brummie and McWallet...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Luminary – synonyms include: achiever, celebrity, star, top name, VIP......... And here was me thinking you had no respect for us old farts.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Ok guys...so who hasn’t swallowed the thesaurus at the weekend? With regard to ‘old’, do I still slip through as a whipper-snapper at 32 ?? (ouch..don’t be too hard on me now!!). And as for you Mr. Marsden, I used to follow your career over twenty years ago, glad to see you are still kicking ass!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dunno about kicking ass Stuart, but I hope you're enjoying the website, even though there are some right funny buggers on the forum. Well, everybody is except me.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I think I can understand the problem when trying to upload my wonderful face to the site! I have the same trouble with girls, I'm just too good looking!
Has my cheesey grin passed the administrator top ten yet? or is there a problem with uploading/updating?

let me know as I wouldn't want all the girls going without!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
see...there you go...I always said you were a better bloke than Ivaan Marks! Now 'm really showing my age :)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Dear Carp Angler...
sorry to be such a limp ****. I've given you as much info as I know re: the venue and I just wanna have the best chance possible. Your advice is highly regarded and appreciated and I just don't want to overbait!

Wednesday Night per swim
4 x Cricket Ball of Vitalin Mix
10 Boilies
Half Tin Of Corn
1 x big freezer Bag of Hemp

Thursday Morning per swim
3 x Cricket Ball of Vitalin Mix
8 Boilies
Half Tin Of Corn
Half x big freezer Bag of Hemp

Thursday Night per swim
4 x Cricket Ball of Vitalin Mix
15 Boilies
Half Tin Of Corn
1 x big freezer Bag of Hemp

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
or.....should I not pre bait on the wednesday night and thursday morning and just bait up the night before. For the record, I am very confident in getting my swim due to the miles required to walk.

Cheers Again

C

Carp Angler

<sigh>

I would use.....

1 Pint of hemp
1 Pint of Vitalin
1/2 tin of corn
50 boilies

per spot on Weds night, Thurs morn and Thurs night.

Friday morning I would probably forgo the Vitalin and just bait the spots with a pouch of corn, 3 or 4 pouches of hemp and about 20 boilies and I would probably use this amount to rebait after every fish or any activity.

Hope this clears it up :eek:)