River Bream

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Again tonight I will be going down the weir fields stretch of the Exe to try and catch some Bream.

The flow here is generally quite slow I have caught Bream here in the past on a bolt rigged pellet but I have been trying since on my quiver and feeder with maggots.

I succeed in catching Roach/Chubbletts/Perch but am still yet to catch the Bream on this method.

I use Ven De Eyne Secrect mixed with brown crumb in the feeder and generally stick to double red maggott.

Now for the questions.

As the River has some flow to it, is my groundbait just going to get washed down stream as soon as it starts breaking down in the feeder? If so (or not), is it possible to catch Bream this way?

Can anyone recommend a more effective groundbait?

Hoe long a hook link from the feeder should I be using (or can it vary)?

Thanks guys, ill let you know hHow I get on

Alex

Face

Reaction score
Hi Alex.
I cant comment on the Exe but I have caught bream over 6lbs on the Trent using a ground bait mix of plain brown crumb and ground trout pellets to which I have added 4mm pellets and sweetcorn. I've found a hooklink between 12 and 18 inches to be best. As for hook bait good old sweetcorn and hallibut pellets have caught the bigger fish.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Thanks for that Face, but I always fear the groundbait gets washed down stream when on the bottom, is this the case from your experience?

Alf James

Reaction score
Alex, the whole idea is that the groundbait gets washed downstream in order to attract the fish upstream to feed on the bigger food items that were in your groundbait (corn, pellets, casters, etc)that are inert on the river bed and among which should be your hookbait.

To ensure that the groundbait does not leave the feeder until it hits the bottom you should put some electrical tape around the feeder to block the holes.

I've found that a large dendrabena worm or lobworm works well for the bigger bream and don't forget that a good sized pinch of breadflake is a good bait as well. I would fish both of these on a size 10 hook.

Also, cast frequently for the first hour or so in order to build up the swim - every 2 to 3 minutes - and keep casting to the same spot.

Face

Reaction score
Hi Alex, I totally agree with Alf, the groundbait that washes down the river attracts the fish up stream.
I use an openend feeder without taping any holes up as I've found that the oil from the ground pellets makes the groundbait mix stiff enough to stay in the feeder on the way down, but it is a good thing to do if there is a strong flow where you are fishing.
If the spot you are fishing is close enough I would throw in up to 10 cricket ball sized balls of groundbait before starting to fish, if not then as Alf says keep casting regularly for the first hour or so.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Excellent lads thank you for helping me understand.

Well I didnt catch any Bream but I caught countless Perch one being the biggest I have ever seen with my own eyes let alone caught, didnt weigh it but was easily topping 2 lb.

very chuffed untill the end of the night, just about to pick up my rod to bring it in and I got a bite and what a pleasure to bring in a bootlace eel (urrrrgh) but it didnt stop there. As I stepped to the edge of the bank to return the eel I slipped and fell into the river, it was extremely funny, I was in up to my chest, (but was only 2ft deep, fell in at a funny angle).

But off to A&E now to get my hand checked out because I think I have done some serious damage. No fishing for a while, gutted but happy to have a break (no pun) and look at my photo of my monster perch.

Oh well!

My Dad found it funny

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Yes sure enough I have broken a bone in my hand.

Theres a good example of not taking enough care on the bank.

Oh well no fishing for a while, thank god the football season is back

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi Alex, unlucky mate.
Look on the positive side, you will have plenty of time to plan your next trip!
I recently did a spot of pre-baiting on the slow lower Bristol Avon, hemp, maize, wheat and pellets. No Carp! But loads of quality bream, it might be an option for you, as you only need one hand to pre-bait an inside line.
;-)

M

madpiker

alex,is it your left or right that is broken?i had spiral fractures of two bones in the back of my right hand due to an rtc a few years ago.i changed the handle so that i could hold the rod with my left hand and wind with my right,it was a bit awkward,and i couldn`t do any serious fishing,but at least i was still fishing!i had my mates bait up for me etc,avoided any ares with bushes,trees etc as my casting wasn`t too accurate at first.
hope that it doesn`t give you too much grief and heals quickly.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Thanks mate, its actually my right hand and i am left handed so i could reel with the broken one but the way it feels at the mo and the lack of support they have provided for it I dont really want to take any chances.

though it did happen 4 days ago its feeling alot better already. hopeully I will be back fighting fit before the predicted 6 weeks

cheers for the thought

M

madpiker

the hospital didn`t plaster my hand either alex.they reckon that as the bones in your hand move when you move your fingers,they`d have to plaster your figers as well,which would mean that the fingers would get very stiff ,leading to extensive discomfort and lots of physio when the plaster came off.
within a couple of weeks,i had a big lump of scar bone tissue appear on my hand,this is natures way of keeping the break still.after a few months,it gradually disappeared as the bone knitted back.i would imagine that it will be a lot quicker for you,as you are a lot younger than me!
by the way,they gave an 8 month time for my hand to fully heal,i reckon that you`ll be ok pretty soon,just take it easy and don`t go falling on it again!

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Wow my hand is healing really quick. Can use it really well now (but twisting things is a struggle)

not long now untill i can return to the bank.

I currently have the lump of bone in the top of my hand, tiz bizarre

R

Rodney Wrestt

Alex,
just don't push it though, you don't want to try seeing just how well it's healed, in case you put yourself back a bit. The fish will still be there when you're fully fit.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Broken hand or no broken hand Managed to go to one of my local angling association ponds last night.

Amazing how quickly my hand has heeled over the last 2 weeks+.

and a good evening as well. known to my friends and family as the toughest water in town I managed to get snapped off from a monster from beneath (shame, wasnt ready for bite of the century)

and caught my first ever crucian (well I think it was but looking at the article on here regarding the subject I think its a hybrid)

either ivor I caught a fish I have never caught before

Wammoooo, its good to be back.

Alex Toze

Reaction score
Oh and I realised then that the night I broke my hand I also snapped my feeder rod in half ( must of fallen on it couldnt tell on the night as it snapped very closed to where the rod pulls apart).

Gutted.