L E D Head Lamps

S

Stephen Shaw

Has anyone got one of the latest diod headlamps, if so what are they like, how bright are they, and is it true they don,t attract the gnats ????

S

Stewart Bloor

Stephen, I've got a Lucido. They're brilliant.

I'm still on my first set of batteries and I've done 2 whole weeks fishing in addition to probably 40 overnighters, as well as numerous sessions into dark.

Definitely a good buy. Can't comment on the gnats though.

D

Dave Johnson

got my Lucido at the NEC after reading Grahams review as per Riks link above. One of the best bits of kit I've used for ages. Bit pricey, but very good.Not sure about the gnats though, I get bitten every time I go, always have done , even with a liberal splash of Jungle formula.
As Sedge says, batteries last for 'yonks' as all of the energy used is emitted as light rather than heat as per standard bulbs.

S

Stephen Shaw

Thanks guys, after reading all the info and surching various web sights, I decided to order the T7.
The reason I asked about the gnats, is because I read somwhere that the LED light does not attract insects and I thought how nice it would be to be able to use a headlamp without being without being bombarded by swarms of the little pests.

R

Rob Brownfield

Its suprising how much you can do without any form of light at all...as i found out by mistake! My torch packet in very quickly the other week and I had to tie rigs in the dark. I managed to tie knotless hair rigs with any trouble at all...although I had to resort to the light from my mobile phone for tying on baits...not to be recommended. Its the first time I have not taken a spare torch...and the last!

However, the locals had an interesting method..they have powerfull lamps that light up the island margins at about 30-40 yard range. That way they can see where there leads land! Strange..i had Bream, Tench and Carp through the night in my little, quite, dark swim, from under the rod tip to 60 yards out...no body else caught....hmmmm..i wonder why..lol

As for midges....go an fish the west coast of Scotland....you will be driven mad...literally

D

Dave Johnson

I remember camping at Luss ,Loch Lomond last year Rob in August......booked a week and packed up after the first night and drove down to Coniston for the week. Never seen anything like it in my life. Everything looked like it was moving at night as the tiny biting midges sswarm over everything. Not good.

R

Rob Brownfield

Dave..those wee things crawling all over your gear...they were Glaswegians...hehe

Those midges are a killer. I was once on a 2 week excercise on the west coast (with the army...not fopr fun..lol) and one of the guys cracked and did a runner. When they fished him out the loch he said he could not take the midges anymore...they packed him off to a mental hospital in Edinbugh!

S

Stephen Hastie

as any body tried the petzl LED head lamp if not go take a look they are about one third the size of the Lucido and last just as long you can also get different coloured lenses for them so you do not muck up your night vision.

Steve

S

Stephen Shaw

I beleve its now possable to get led conversion bulbs for some headlamps for about ?12 for a 4 led setup

S

Simon Hawkins

Fishing in France a few weeks ago with my mate Mark he had one of the new LED headsets. Great if you like floodlit fishing but certainly not for me on a quiet river bank. The first night Mark caught a nice Carp and as soon as we got it on the mat it went absolutely berserk, whatever we did we couldn't calm it down until Mark suddenly realised it was the light which was freaking it out. As soon as he swithed it off the fish calmed down and we unhooked it using my normal Petzl for light. Has anyone else actually tried unhooking a fish using one and if so what was the result? IMHO they are brilliant for just about any nightime activity except fishing!