backing line

M

michael bracken

i got a reel about a month ago, and i also got some line but only about 10 yards of backing line fits on with the "normal" line in place, will this be ok or do i need a bigger size reel?

S

Shrek

Sounds like you need a bigger reel.

Your reel should have a size to it, standard one's being either, #3/4, #5/6 or #7/8. Therefore if you buy a #7/8 reel it will take either 7-weight or 8-weight line plus 50 to 100 yards of backing.

Backing is there for two purposes. Firstly to give extra line to a hard fighting fish and secondly to pad out the reel to help minimise memory in the line.

Out of interest, what reel do you have and what size fly line are you putting on it?

M

michael bracken

i thought that was the case, i have an okuma airstream reel rated #4/6 and i think i put WF 8 line on it, silly me! i havent been keen on the reel since i bought it after upgrading from my battered old shakespeare reel, think ill just get a new reel big enough that will hold that line and plenty of backing, till then looks like ill be using my shakespeare, lol

thanks for the info :p

M

michael bracken

did a search and i found my old shakespeare seems to be a decent reel, its a speedex

M

michael bracken

it seems to be ok now, i put a 6 weight line on it (even though my rod is rated 7/9) and it has around 50 yards of backing on, and it casts like a dream :cool: