whip finish

M

michael bracken

how do i do a whip finish on my flies? i have just started fly tying, i have a few of the basic tools but im getting a whip finish tool tomorow and i want to know how to use it, thanks alot :cool:

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I have never possessed a whip finish tool in my life and I do a whip finish with my fingers.

It's very difficult to describe it.

I suggest you buy a good book on fly tying. Any by Peter Gathercole are excellent.

M

michael bracken

ok thanks, isnt it hard to do it on very small hooks with your fingers? as a beginner will i be better with a tool?

M

michael bracken

or does anybody know of and diagrams that show the whip finish?

NT

Reaction score
I can whip finish by hand but prefer to use a tool for speed and ease and that fact that the silk catches on my dry skin.
The purpose is a whip finish is a really good knot to stop everything falling apart.
Neil.

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
I'm going to be quite honest here and say that I don'r use a whip finish tool. I used to but found a quicker method. Once you've got to the head of your fly and the thread is ready to e tied off simply hold the thread tight and spread superglue on the inch closest to the fly. Then wrap it round about three times. The thread will instantly bind down tight. If you want to varnish over this feel free. I personally don't bother. This is a pretty simple and effective way to secure your flies. It also has the added advantage of drying quicker.