Thames Barbel Catch

Matt Brown

Reaction score
That's a cracking Barbel catch Dave.

I'm not fished the Thames for many years but I have friends who do target the Barbel and tell me how hard they are to locate so to catch from 3 different pegs is brilliant achievement.

W

Wolfman Woody

Nice one Dave.

Why is it I am having all the blanks then or am I just the one making the figures "average".

D

Deecy

Thanks chaps, been building up to something like this for a while, you know lots of groundwork but very satifying.Hopefully it may encourage a few more to fish the river in places other than the usual areas.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Nice one.

Where is it then??????????????????

"
it may encourage a few more to fish the river in places other than the usual areas."

I'm encouraged.

Ron C

Reaction score
Congratulations Dave brilliant Thames catch
Very well done

Ron C.

J

jason fisher

it's definitely not the stretch i used to fish, he's caught as many barbel as came out of there in the last 6 years.

but it might be the other bit, i wonder?

D

Deecy

Thanks Wol and Ron.I keep thinking I will bump into you one day on the Thames Ron.
Jason I have no idea ,but it is what I call the middle Thames , there are about a dozen different stretches I fish , all of which produce Barbel.I hope you understand why I cannot name actual places, the Trent debacle is proof enough of why not.What I will say is If it helps anyone wanting a go avoid the weirs and what might be described as 'classic' Barbel water there will be Barbel but I generally find them to be smaller fish.What does apply are old standards like deep gravel runs which shallow up.Fish on the area where it starts to become shallower.Anywhere where the water runs into and under the bank you are on,mussel beds,avoid heavy blanket weed,areas where the river narrows causing a quickening of pace and creases,these last two are tricky to find until the rains start pushing the flow along.Virtually static water in Summer is no measure of whether it will contain Barbel.Finally old books provide keys like John Everards bit in Fishing As We Find It,Old Father Thames by Peter Stone and The River Prince by Chris Yates.The swims and areas in these books used by the Thames Professional anglers in Victorian times hold true as they did then.

Ron C

Reaction score
Dave, fishing a Thames tributary at the moment, only fished the Thames once so far this season and managed to net two that night, hope to get out on the Thames after September.

Ron C.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Where is it asks a tongue in cheek Wol!

Deecy, you fool, you told everybody on here and now they will all be on that "Middle Thames" bit between Windsor and Lechlade, the river will be heaving with Fishingmagicites, you will be lucky to get a pitch now.

If you just email the location to me I promise I won't go there?!?!

Or take Jeff!

Or Wol!

J

jason fisher

i do know exactly where it is i think, that particular fish anyway.

it's a good aritcle as well.

B

Bully

Deecy - I am confused, you dont know where you fished ?? Or am I mis-reading?

J

jason fisher

no he's confused bully that's why he doesnt know where he fished

J

jason fisher

If you just email the location to me I promise I won't go there?!?!

Or take Jeff!

you could take jeff any where he still wouldn't catch owt though, and he'd only end up complaining about the walk and peoplle breaking his barrow and fences and cows and

D

Deecy

No Bully the point I was making was that I have fished in the region of 12 different stretches of the middle Thames over a few seasons now.What I was trying to put across was that I have caught Barbel from them all in the past and of course over the last couple of weeks from the three stretches I alluded to.I hoped to get the message across that the Thames is a viable Barbel fishery in many areas and not just the traditional areas that everyone seems to head for such as Hampton Court, Sunbury,Windsor , Bablock Hythe etc.I just hope that if more people tried it they would be suprised.It is not easy, I accept that but there are more difficult challenges out there.I also accept that low doubles may not inspire those who think that a big Barbel is now a 17 or higher but rewards are there.The fact is I see so few anglers out there summer or winter that there may just be a suprise or two.The big fish from the Abingdon area shows that.For something really special maybe fishing areas where Barbel are thin on the ground is the answer.Not only that but other species are thriving too.It is a good healthy thriving fishery below Oxford anyway,above Oxford I cannot comment as Oxford is the limit of as far as I am prepared to travel.I don't normally publicise anything I catch but I feel strongly that if we continue to ignore the Thames even more will be lost to us.If you have ever tried to find access to some parts you will find how tricky it can be.The Thames path is there but getting to it with heavy gear sometimes can be tricky especially if you want to fish the more remote areas.I have noticed more people using boats to reach these spots but for a few hours after work with an eighty mile round trip I am unsure if I want to go down that route.

S

shane calton

Well done, never fished the Thames before i will have to give it a go now, good article.

D

Deecy

Thanks Shane I am at present putting together a list of free fishing, club fishing and day ticket fishing on the Thames from the non tidal up to just before Oxford.Busy at work so might be a while.

Neil Maher

Reaction score
Hi Deecy, I would be interested in seeing that list when ur done,
Regards,
Neil