Can anyone recomend some scales

Richard Baker 4

Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice on a new set of scales. I mainly flyfish for wild trout so I don't need a set that go to massive weights. However I would like something that measured acurately between the weights of 8 ounces and 10lbs. can anyone recomend any scales suitable for these low weights?

Regards and thanks

RIch

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I really like my Fox digitals. Not cheap, but they'll be worth it over the long haul.

K

Keith Orange

I used to use Little Samson balances, which were light cheap and fairly accurate. Don't know if they are still available, there were different sizes, up tp 4lb, up to 7lb, up to 14lb.

I got sick of carting different size scales around so I now use a Keenets scale with a dial - smallish, light, costs about fiver, weighs up to 25 lbs.

I calibrated it the other week and I was pleased to see that its fairly reliable. The dial is only 3" across and it's marked out in 4oz increments. I reckon you can read it to the nearest 1 or 2 oz.

Rob Lewis

Reaction score
Ive got a berkley digital scale which is very robust, floats and easy to use. One drawback is that it shows weights in 10ths of a lb rather than oz.

It also weighs fish at a couple of lb less than other anglers report them...funny that.

I think mine cost about ?35 and will weigh anything I'm likely to catch in the uk.

M

matt thomas

i have some rapala digital scales and they are brilliant,accurate too,you don't get the 'bounce' with digis that you get with dials as they take an average reading on a heavy fish.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
theres always the <a target='_new' href="https://prossl.co.uk/dragoncarpdirect.com/acatalog/dragon_carp_fish_handling.html">Waymaster Flyweight Scales
</a> sold by dragon carp for only ?19.99 & comes with free weigh sling and i believe
that they float !

Darren George

Reaction score
my rapala scales are sometimes way off. it seems that when zeroing them, the number goes to zero, but it still weighs heavy. A bit of faffing returns them to accuracy to the nearest oz, but just be careful!!

S

sash

Salter Digital. Expensive (70 odd quid) but brilliant. Weigh in 1/2 oz increments (or grammes and kilos or indeed 1/10ths of a pound) and go to 55lb.

Have stood up to the battering that is winter pike fishing and are still accurate against known weights after 2 years use.

L

Laurie Harper

Great site, Eric. Thanks. Need a new set and nice to be able to compare so many.