Mitchell Match 440a

Dave Gidman

Reaction score
I've been using a 410a Mitchell reel for a few years now and decided to try out a 440A Match. Reviews have said good things about them but i can't use it properly i'm sure. Auto bail arm? Can anyone tell me how this reel is supposed to work, i might have bought a duff one i don't know. Pressing the bail arm opens it but how do you close it? Just turning the handle doesn't do it. Help!!!!!!!

Beecy

Reaction score
I dont have one but I reckon if turning the handle does'nt do it you've got a duff one!

Once you suss it be very careful when using the real, I had a Mitchel Match ( i think the originals were number 320 or something, cant realy remember it was 20 years ago) and hated the fact the bail arm was automatic, line often gopt caught in the mechanism and was broken.

Dave Gidman

Reaction score
Hi Beecy. Ok thanx, i will once i get it working. I've had it apart and there's a screw with threads gone inside.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a 440A the blue one.
It has what is called a finger dab bail arm which flicks the bail arm open when you touch it.
Closing is done by rewinding.
They are easy to take apart and clean.

Dave Gidman

Reaction score
Hi Baz
The bail arm doesn't return when rewinding because the plate that is held by the aforementioned screw is loose.
I've contacted REEL CARE in Southampton and they can fix it. I'll learn my lesson one of these days when buying things off Ebay! Anyway thanx for the reply.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.
By the way it was a perfect match in weight and ballance for the Tom Pickering 11' 4" tip rod. I think they even made the rod with the 44A in mind.