Airplane hand luggage

B

Bob Shuttleworth

Anyone know if telescopic rods can be taken on board as hand luggage?
I've a horrible feeling that they were banned post 9/11 and my nice shiny new John Wilson Avon Tele won't fit in my suitcase :(

fishface

Reaction score
i'm thinking of taking my shakespeare telescopic rod to spain but i'm unsure if your allowd or not aswell! :S

fishface

Reaction score
( i ment in hand luggage aswell as mine wont fit fit in the suitcase either :( ! )

Clikfire

Reaction score
For your information taken from the ryanair travel page stuff you can't carry in hand luggage:

Blunt Instruments: any blunt instrument capable of causing injury, including baseball and softball bats, clubs or batons ? rigid or flexible ? e.g. billy clubs, blackjacks (truncheon of leather covered lead with flexible shaft), night sticks & batons, cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey and hurley sticks, lacrosse sticks, kayak and canoe paddles, skateboards, billiard, snooker and pool cues,

fishing rods,

martial arts equipment, e.g. knuckle dusters, clubs, coshes, rice flails, num-chucks, kubatons, kubasaunts.

So the answer will be no!

B

Bob Shuttleworth

Spoke to a very helpful woman at BA. It seems they don't specifically ban fishing rods (no mention of them on the website either) but it must be short enough to go in the overhead lockers, which mine isn't.

You can check it in with your luggage in a protective tube, but that sort of defeats the object.

Off shopping to find a really long suitcase!

S

Steve King

I tried to take a tele rod as hand luggage a couple of years ago on Air 2000 and was told that it wasn't allowed. They did promise to tkae care of it and arranged to hand load it.

At Heraklion Airport it was one of the first items to come out on the conveyor belt, but it had a huge suitcase on it and the butt ring was completely crushed!!

Either ty and find a longer suitcase or put the rod in a tube and check it in.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

you can fit 4 or 5 rods in it --and it extends and locks ....They are really well made too ..

P

Phil Heaton

You could use a length of drainpipe with one end fully sealed with a glued into position stop end, then at the other end glue a collar into place with a threaded end. Foam sponge can be pushed in at each end of the rod, to stop it rattling about and getting damaged. All these items are available from B & Q etc and in total will be around ?10. It will not lock, but thieves are not deterred by locks anyway.

S

Steve King

KIS rod cases can be hired from some tackle dealers, but if you are only taking the one tele rod with you on the family holiday, they are OTT as Bob says.

My tele carp rod is just a tad too long to fit in a case, so I put it in a cut down rod tube and check it in.

J

jason fisher

or a bazooka, they're pretty nifty for carrying rods as well.

M

madpiker

fully armed,they`d be good for prebaiting at distance too!!!!!!